ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Self-Care: It’s something every college student should be doing but, in reality, it’s probably practiced the least. I know that I’m guilty of having really great self-care ideas that never come to fruition. Here are some of my favorite self-care tips:

Yoga

Going to Yoga To The People once a week is something that I love doing. It’s an hour of “me” time where I’m not thinking about what’s due next or the customer who stressed me out at work.

Setting A Daily Facial Routine And Sticking To It

I’ve been going strong for about a month now, using two different cleansers twice a day. Starting the morning and ending my night with a clean face makes me feel like a real adult.

Tea

I absolutely love tea. I also adore coffee, but I’ve been trying to keep the coffee at 1 to 2 cups a day, these days. I’ve been drinking tea like crazy and I have to say there is something so relaxing about drinking a cup of tea.

Reading For Fun

My majors happen to be very reading intense. I mean, college is pretty reading heavy to begin with—but most of my classes involve reading a bunch and then having discussions about the reading. As much as I love it, sometimes it feels good to pick up a book that you want to read rather than one that you have to read.

Take Five Minutes To Just Sit

Sometimes you just need to sit and stare at the wall. No phone. No music. No disruptions. Everyone needs some time to just sit with their thoughts.

Netflix

Or any streaming service that floats your boat. Yeah, binge watching is really bad for you, when you have a ten-page paper due, but it never hurts to take some time out of the week to binge watch your new favorite show.

Talk To Your Mom

My mom is my best friend and everyone knows it. Some days I just need to talk to her and de-stress. Whoever that person is in your life, give them a call and vent it out.

Go For A Walk

I live in an amazing city and sometimes I forget to truly appreciate that, in the midst of my busy schedule. Taking a walk is a great way for me to relax, take time for me and to appreciate the opportunities I have.

Listen to Music

From time to time, you need five minutes of silence and sometimes you need to jam out to some One Direction or Hamilton or James Bay. (My music taste is pretty random) Music makes everything better. Pro tip: Dance parties also have the same effect.

Forgive Yourself

This one is a lot harder than the rest. Today, being a college student is super stressful. We’re expected to do so much, it’s truly a 24/7 job. We have internships, and we work, and we take classes, and we forget that we’re young and we get to make mistakes. It’s okay to do the wrong thing or say something you didn’t mean. Forgive yourself for the mistakes you make, because you will make them either way. College is a lot of things but most importantly it’s a time to learn. 

Hey there! My name is Alexis and I'm a senior at Pace University where I am double majoring in Peace & Justice Studies and Communication Studies with minor in Women and Gender Studies. I am the Campus Corespondent for Her Campus Pace and love watching our organization grow. I just got back from spending Spring semester in Florence, Italy and traveling throughout Europe for a month this summer. When I'm not running around between school and my internship, I can be found exploring the city with my friends, checking out some art at MoMA, binge watching Gilmore Girls, Friends or whatever new show has caught my attention or planning my next trip. I believe writing is one of the best tools we have for personal expression and activism!
Her Campus Pace Contributor