This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

This week Demi Lovato celebrated a huge milestone; six years of sobriety. Lovato has always been very open with her fans about her struggles with addiction. In her recent documentary, “Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated,” she modestly admitted that the last time she had a long interview she was on cocaine. That pure honesty is what gave her such a cult following, her Lovatics.

Six years ago Demi Lovato had just released her documentary “Demi Lovato: Stay Strong” on MTV. It was a candid film that followed her to her hometown in Texas during Thanksgiving, which can be a very hard time for someone suffering from an eating disorder. As a Lovatic myself, it is hard to think that she had to put on a brave face for the public and hide that she was still struggling. Lovato stayed strong for her fans but was secretly relapsing.

Today Lovato is currently on touring the globe on her “Tell Me You Love Me Tour” with DJ Khaled and Kehlani as her opening guests. She has brought CAST centers on tour with her, a foundation that will offer fans free therapy and wellness sessions before the show. Her success has only driven her to maintain her health even more and the Lovatics are here for it. Even if Lovato makes an appearance at a club she openly records herself drinking water on snapchat to reassure fans she isn’t falling off the wagon. She celebrated her 6 years of sobriety by tweeting to her fans that it IS possible. The next day while performing at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY DJ Khaled and Kehlani sang happy “sober” birthday to Lovato on stage which lead to a very tearful speech. Demi told the crowd how 6 years ago she was “drinking vodka out of a sprite bottle at 9 in the morning.” She has come so far and her honesty inspires so many young fans to follow in her footsteps and believe in themselves that anything is possible.

Cinthia Andrade

Pace Pleasantville