Valentine’s Day Celebrations Beyond the U.S.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

In America the Valentine’s Day traditions are simple; chocolate, roses, a romantic date, cards, and declarations of love in every shape and size usually from men to women but generally celebrated by both alike. Other countries however have their own take on this holiday… Here are five that do Valentine’s Day a little differently. 

1. Norfolk England

In the East of England they celebrate Valentine’s Day in more of a Christmas fashion. On this special day a mysterious, sneaky Santa Claus figure of sorts known as Jack Valentine or Old Father (or sometimes Mother) Valentine is expected to knock on kid’s doors and leave little gifts and treats.

2. Slovenia

In Slovenia St. Valentine, known as Zdravko is the patron saint of springs and brings the “keys” to the roots. Thus in this country Valentine’s Day is an agricultural celebration and February 14th is the first day of work in the fields and the vineyards. This is also said to be the day that the birds propose to each other. 

3. Scotland

In Scotland, Valentine’s Day tradition starts out with the search for a Valentine’s date. According to custom, the first man or woman encountered on the street becomes the other’s Valentine, and they spend the day together. In general Valentine’s Day in Scotland, while like in the US is celebrated as a day of love, Valentine’s Day revolves much more around cards and poetry then gifts and chocolate. Children and adults alike send and deliver cards to their friends, family, and loved ones with special Valentine’s Day messages. 

4. Japan

In Japan, they definitely celebrate Valentine’s Day slightly differently from America, in fact some would say they do so “in reverse.” While normally women are considered and even expected to be serene and restrained especially when it comes to expressing their emotions, February 14th  is a day of forward flirtation. Specifically they gift chocolates to their lovers and/or friends, as signs of either love, courtesy, or social obligation. In Japan the different kinds of chocolates that are handed out have different meanings, for example one kind is called “giri-choko” which literally means “obligation chocolate,” as a declaration of social obligation to someone like a brother, boss, or classmate without any love interest involved. Another kind is called “honmei-choko” meaning favorite or true feelings chocolate to be given to someone who the woman has romantic feelings for. 

5. Finland

In Finland Valentine’s Day is more a celebration of friendship than romance. It is called “Ystavan Paiva” which translates literally into “Friend’s Day.” It much less popular of a holiday than it is in America and is celebrated casually, with simple exchanges of cards, gift, and the greeting of Happy Friend’s Day!

My name is Lauren and I was raised in Philadelphia but I now go to school at Occidental College in Los Angeles. It's been great getting to really experience both coasts; they're so different! I love fashion, photography, being active outside, and writing!