Myles Groner ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Meet Myles Groner! He’s a senior here at Oxy and you can always find him in the Office of Student Life, going to research lab, or working hard in the library!

Major:Biochemistry
Minor:Computer Science
Hometown:Seal Beach

What are you involved in on campus?
Biochemistry Research involved with Virus-Like Nano particles binding to Heparin, working under Professor Andrew Udit
Work at the Office of Student Life as the Marketing Program Assistant
Co-President of the Oxy Open Source Club (Technology Computer Science Club)
Treasurer of the Student Alumni Relations Committee
Fundraising Chair of Asian Pacific Americans for Liberation (APAL)

What draws you to leadership positions?
I am drawn by the role that they allow me to play at Occidental College, I am able to help pave the path for new resources and ideas at Oxy. The positions allow me to remain in constant contact with the student body and to assist the newer students in any aid they may need.

What cool opportunities have you been given with your various participations in different activities on campus?
Through the Office of Student Life many opportunities come up, since it is a central hub of the school a lot of networking and informational ideas flow through the office. 

Why did you choose to come to Oxy?
The thing that most intrigued me when I visited Oxy was their undergraduate research, no other school offered a similar program and being interested in the sciences I knew that I would need to come here to get the experience I wanted.

Who inspires you?
My Cousin

Any advice for freshmen?
If you ever need anything from anyone including professors or other students, simply ask.

Tell us more about what it’s like to do research on campus and during the summer. 
Research can definitely be a large commitment, and depending on the research you do and the amount that you enjoy you may come in everyday for multiple hours each day. But once you find out how much you enjoy it and how much you truly are interested, it starts to takeover your life you’ll want to come in as much as possible in order to understand more and to try and finish the project. During the summer is when the real research happens, this is where you will be working full-time in the research lab for ten-weeks. And a large amount of your research will be done during these and once done you’re will be complete, and you’ll be able to present the data you’ve researched at conferences locally or nationally. 

What are your career aspirations?
I’m actually still undecided, but I do have a lot of options that I’ve been considering; med school, law school, PhD in Chemistry, Masters in Computer Science, and MBA Grad School. These of course are not all going to happen but I am still considering all of them.

Who is your man crush?
Joseph Gordon Levitt, of course.

Name one bucket list goal? 
Learn a new interesting language