This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Family holidays always prove to be a little conundrum for me, at least outfit-wise. My extended family always insists on a semi-formal dress code for all of our huge holiday get-togethers. I find myself wanting to look presentable for relatives I haven’t seen in a while, but there’s no doubt I’ll have to somehow accommodate the food baby that will be protruding by the end of dinner. 

I already own a dress similar to the one I styled below, which is why I chose it in black, but you might prefer more festive colors like burgundy or forest green. The silhouette is perfect for formal occasions, but the waistline is at just the right spot so that it’s not constraining your stomach. Not to mention the flared skirt is totally flattering. I added the moto jacket because (1) I’m obsessed with layering this time of year even though we live in Southern California and (2) I thought it would a little more structure to the whole ensemble. The marled fabric also adds texture and works for formal occasions just as well as (p)leather. The shoes are clunky and seem a little impractical, but lately I’ve been wanting to stray away from streamlined, “lady-like” outfits. My family might call me crazy, but I like the look of little weights on my feet.