jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Being locked up in the library working on papers and studying for midterms has probably caused some serious Vitamin D deficiencies in all of us hardworking college students. Thankfully Fall Break is quickly approaching, granting us the chance to be out in the sun and enjoy the diverse scenery that Southern California offers. Venture out of the Oxy bubble and check out these cool hiking places that will satisfy an array of ecosystemic preferences. (Note: Car or Friend with Car is necessary, in addition to comfortable shoes and water).

Desert

Location: Vasquez Rocks

These rocks might look familiar to our Her Campus science fiction fans. They have been featured in several films, in addition to multiple Star Trek Episodes.  Hiking along these cool geologic formations is worth the 45 minute drive to the Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park, and will guarantee a picture-worthy Trek-ing experience. 

(Amanda Greyson stares deeply into Spock’s eyes, for they contain the reflection of the beautiful Vasquez Rocks)http://filmmakeriq.com/2012/06/the-true-hollywood-story-of-the-vasquez-rocks-hollywoods-favorite-rocky-set/

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Vasquez_Rock    (Art imitates life, literally)

Beach

Location: Point Mugu State Park

Maybe having the extraterrestrial experience isn’t your thing, and you want a more aquatic backdrop while you hike. California has it covered. A scenic hour or more long drive down the PCH (or a less picturesque drive 45 minutes through the 101), will get you to the Point Mugu State Park. This state park has a variety of trails, but I personally recommend the La Jolla County Loop. Granted the trail is 10.5 miles, but I will testify that the worth of this hiking experience greatly supersedes the numeric value of its length, and a quick dip in the ocean offers a gratifying end. You don’t have to know Spanish to understand that La Jolla County Trail is a true jewel.

(A testimony view of the beach from the mountain- a true California experience. Shouts out to my friend Tina and her cool Batman backpack.) 

Forest

Location: Sturtevant Falls – Los Angeles National Forest

(You will waterfall in love with this view! I know this caption is pretty bad, but the Her Campus editor requires us to do one pun per post, just following orders) www.everytrail.com

Yep that’s right. We Angelinos don’t just have any forest we have a national forest that’s filled with a vast amount of trails to enjoy. And if you still want to be close to water yet don’t want to go all the way out to the beach, you can opt for one of the multiple paths that have waterfall views. Sturtevant Falls trail is a very popular and doable choice, for at only 3.25 miles of your time it will take you to an impressive piece of nature’s work.

Urban

Location: Runyon Canyon Park

Now maybe you find being completely surrounded by nature to be overwhelming, and you need a view of the city to remain sane while hiking. If you want to venture further than our very local Griffith Park, you can go check out Runyon Canyon Park. Runyon Canyon’s Route B is appropriately named after its average level of difficulty, and exposes the hiker to trademark sights such as the Hollywood Sign as well as the Downtown Skyline. This hike is great for the night owls that want an evening adventure illuminated by the city lights.  

(We view the mountains from the city every day, now the time has come to view the city from the mountains) http://theunworldlytravelers.com/2013/12/three-hours-to-kill-in-l-a/

So where do YOU think you’ll go for fall break??