HC Oxy Procrastination Break: Guilty Pleasure Netflix Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Everyone has their guilty pleasure tv shows. Maybe the dialogue is corny or the acting is horrible, but you just can’t stop watching because in its own way, it’s good. So bad it’s good. Here are the 5 best bad-but-good tv shows now streaming on Netflix.

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Nearly every episode is the same: teen girl gets married to teen boy, family talks about being Romanichal gypsies in America. Occasionally the series deviates into birthday parties, 14-year-old girls’ coming out parties, cousin-cousin marriages. Most importantly though, the show has tacky dresses galore. And girl fights. I’m also going to lie to myself and say there’s educational value because you’re learning about another culture. Kind of. 

Twisted
Whether you want to admit it or not, ABC Family is a terrible, terrible channel. But I had to set that aside before watching Twisted. Much of the murder mystery-esque storyline is complete bullshit and relies on a lot of very illegal investigation practices to push the series along. Sometimes it seems like a parody of a tv show rather than a real tv show, but does that stop me from watching it? No. So it shouldn’t deter you either. 

One Tree Hill
If you’re looking for a longer story to follow, One Tree Hill has nine seasons starting from high school until the actors are somewhere in their twenties. Which means that there are like 26 year olds playing high school kids but whatever. The way I would describe the plot of OTH is that anything that could possibly happen, does. I don’t know how many unpredictable turns a show spanning nine season could take, but it’s entertaining nonetheless. 

Four Weddings
Another wedding-related TLC masterpiece. Basically four brides use a completely subjective grading system to evaluate who they think has the best wedding. Surprise twist: everyone thinks their own wedding is the best. This is the kind of show where you can sort of coast along and not pay too much attention because there’s no real dramatic conflict. Many of the weddings are a little tacky, but similar to My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding, it gives you the satisfaction of thinking you know another person on tv’s life. 

Boys Over Flowers
If it were still 2009 I might be afraid of being hunted down for putting this on a list of bad-but-good tv shows. For anyone unfamiliar with this show, all you really need to know is that it’s a totally ridiculous girl fantasy but you’ll be hooked almost instantly. 

Honorable Mention:
Sadly these programs aren’t available on Netflix, but still highly recommended:

Ghost Adventures
Married to Jonas 
Rock of Love