samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Handling School Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

It’s already mid-November and finals are upon us. To put it bluntly, this month has been kicking my a$$. This is probably one of the most stressful and overwhelming semesters I’ve experienced yet in college. Most of the classes I’m currently taking are graded depending on one final project, and they all happen to be due in the next two weeks. My head can’t seem to stop spinning! The work piles up continuously, even when I’m not procrastinating. So I’ve compiled a few tips for anyone who might be going through the same thing I am right now. I’m not sure if these tips will work for everyone, but I know I’m a little desperate trying to find that balance where I can maintain my sanity while staying productive. 

1. Work out!

It can be hard to work up the motivation to work out. Sometimes it can even seem like a waste of time when you have load of work sitting on top of your desk. But finding time for a good workout is definitely worth it. I often find myself unable to focus while studying because I feel so restless. Going for a run eliminates all that extra energy and stress that’s keeping me from doing my work. Not to mention, it’s good for your body. We live in a culture that values work and productivity over relaxation, and oftentimes we don’t realize the toll it’s taking on our physical bodies. Just think of all the products out there that are meant to keep us running longer: coffee, 5 Hour Energy, Red Bull etc. We need to prioritize our physical bodies, or we won’t be able to do any work. 

2. Get organized. 

Plan out which days you’re going to focus on each component of your project. Write a to-do list or grocery list or any kind of list. Clean your room. Sure, it doesn’t sound like a very fun procrastination activity, and I know there are people out there who claim that to-do lists only make them panic even more about all the tasks they have yet to complete. However, I personally believe that getting organized can make a person feel, at least for a few minutes, that their life is under control. When I return home after a long day of writing papers and going to class, I like seeing that my bed is made and that my clothes aren’t scattered all over the floor. Even if I feel like I’m going a little crazy on the inside, at least outside I can keep up the appearance of being a functional human being.

3. Talk to someone. 

Communicate. During finals, I have the tendency to scare myself a little. Stress causes me to look at problems as though they’re bigger than the actually are. Talking to my friends or calling my family helps bring things back into focus. It also doesn’t seem healthy to keep all those emotions bottled up inside of you while trying to deal with four huge projects at once. Don’t feel too guilty about whining now and then. You might just find someone who’s in the same boat as you.