Freshman Experience 7: Christmas Shopping!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Some Christmas Shopping T-L-C

To those who are taking their finals this week, good luck! Finals week at Oxy starts next Monday and let me tell you, there is no better sign of hardworking students than a packed library. As December rolls around, the holiday season comes closer and closer. There’s almost a draft of excitement, happiness and anxiety in the air as students are trying to write their final words for their papers and squeeze in hours to study for their exams. On top of that comes Christmas shopping! As college students, there are a fair majority of us that need to get the ideal gift for our parents and friends…on a budget. How is there possibly time to do that when your brain is trying to juggle the concept of synapses and neurons for your Biology class?

Know What You Want to Buy
Plan your presents and take that list to the mall. This list should include the items and stores where you can find them. Keep in mind all of your favorite stores, that can have some sweet stuff for the right price. If possible, shop for all of your Christmas presents at the same time – this prevents countless trips back where other items can entice your buying spirit, so focus on your lucky recipients first! Forget about that ugly sweater (well honestly, pretty [ugly] sweater right?) that would be perfect for a party back home and buy that watch your friend has been longing for. There’s nothing like walking through the mall with a coffee in your hand with enough caffeine and time to allow you to browse through the multitude of stores. Unfortunately, that time may be needed to tie up some academic loose strings left unattended throughout the semester.

I Have a Budget to Consider You Know!
I know, I know. It can be hard to get that one awesome present for a loved one when it literally sucks up all your money that you have been saving for the entirety of your Christmas shopping spree. Want to make it easier on yourself? Check out the sales that many stores are holding in preparation for Christmas and get at them early. It would not hurt to check out their advertised sales so you can prevent your wallet from getting too small.You can also spread out your budget among the people on your list. For instance, I know my mom would rather have me make something than purchase it (you got to make your mom happy :D); so, my budget for her is pretty minimal. Doing so makes the managing of my finances during the holiday season much easier. However, if you do not have the budget to buy presents this year, it’s the thought that counts. Your friends and family know that you care for them and it can be tough – and sometimes unnecessary – to put in additional money to show it too. Take it easy, reflect on your thoughts and write them a nice letter instead. Kind words are extremely touching too.

To the Oxy ladies…still got tons of meal plan money?
A silly, but totally ideal  “gift” for your friends could be to buy their next meal (or couple of meals) for them. Many people have asked if I had extra money or if I wanted to have my Luna bar purchased for me. Meal plan bucks are widely sought for, especially near the end of the semester, so get into the holiday spirit and be generous if you can!

Image credit: Flickr user karinelips.nl http://www.flickr.com/photos/phantomato/2205210449/

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.