Brappz: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Her Campus recently sent us a box full of goodies, including Vera Bradley wallets and Milani liquid eyeliner that were totally up my alley. But one item they sent us baffled me: neon pink and green rubbery straps with detachable silver hooks. As I held the colorful spaghetti-like straps in my hand, I had to wonder: What are they? And what are they for?

These rubber straps, as it turns out, are Brappz – a cute portmanteau of “bra” and “straps.” The website advertises that “With Brappz there are no limits to your imagination!” and that you can try them as bra straps, jewelry, shoelaces and more.

So I did just that, and am providing a rating of those three uses based on 1) how cute it looked, 2) how effectively it functioned, 3) how easy it was to assemble, and 4) how comfortable it was. I’ll compile the categories for a total score out of 20.

As bra straps:

These are definitely super cute as bra straps for summer, whether you’re hanging by the pool, heading to the beach, or having a neon party. The pink and green are a little vibrant for everyday use, but there are other color options on the website that are more subtle.

In order to test the Brappz as bra straps, I first had to find a bra with regular detachable straps… of which I have exactly one, and it was buried at the bottom of my underwear drawer. But after finally finding the bra, removing the straps, and attaching the Brappz, I tested them out.

The advantage of these is that they’re super comfy because the silky straps don’t dig into your skin. The disadvantage is that they’re harder to adjust than regular bra straps AND the rubber stretches, so even if they fit when you put them on, they’ll loosen over time and slide off your shoulders. Not the most effective and a bit of a hassle, but definitely a cute, fun look.

Cuteness: 4/5

Effectiveness: 3/5

Ease: 4/5

Comfort: 5/5

Total: 16/20 = B-

As jewlery:

Honestly, I think that Brappz should primarily be used as jewelry. They’re super easy to assemble and really fun accessories. As necklaces, they’re cute and comfortable chokers and catch the eye with their bright colors. As headbands, they even managed to hold my super-thick hair back, and they didn’t slide off from being too loose or dig into my head and give me a headache like normal headbands do. As bracelets they were less functional. I could only wrap them around my wrist twice, which was a little too loose, but I have really small wrists. They still looked great, but I had to make sure they didn’t fall off.

Cuteness: 4/5

Effectiveness: 5/5

Ease: 5/5

Comfort: 5/5

Total: 19/20 = A+

As shoelaces:

Part of the problem with Brappz is that all of the instructions are just pictures of what you’re supposed to do, with no written instructions. Trying to figure out how to use the Brappz as shoelaces was like trying to do Calculus. Not only that, but I had to take the shoelaces that were already in my shoes out in order to put the Brappz in, which was a nightmare and took ages. Once I finally got the Brappz in place as shoelaces, I had a hard time getting them to the perfect level of tightness that I prefer. They kept my shoes on my feet and I got lots of compliments on the bright colors, but I still felt like they were too loose. I definitely wouldn’t wear them to exercise, and the thought of having to frequently change out my regular shoelaces with the Brappz is unbearable. Brappz as shoelaces was definitely my least favorite.

Cuteness: 5/5

Effectiveness: 4/5

Ease: 0/5

Comfort: 3/5

Total: 12/20 = D- :(

Conclusion: Brappz are great as vibrant accessories, but don’t bother trying to use them as shoelaces.

19 year old college student and Orange County native recently transplanted to northeast LA.  Beach bum, aspiring yogi, and possible Sociology major. 
I'm from DC and obsessed with glitter.