Binh Vuong ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Binh Vuong! Never met Binh? Well, I can assure you’ve definitely seen him and his spiky, white blond hair around campus at least once!

Okay, so he’s only been a blonde for the past month but this member of the Class of 2014 is super involved and one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet!

Hailing from way out-of-state, Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, where he returns every summer, Binh tries to make use of his time in the at Oxy by trying out as many things on-campus as possible. Currently, he is involved in International Students club, Oxy Shots, Surfing club, Biology Club, QSA, VFE, Feast, Pulse, and Dance Production. He is also one of the much-loved Stewie RAs. “I never got to explore so many different fields of interests before, so I am really glad Oxy allows me to do so,” Binh says. “These organizations really help me redefine who I am and figure out what my passions are.”

Atop all his extracurricular activities this sophomore is studying Biology with a Marine Biology emphasis and hopes to go to grad school after he graduates from Oxy. And in the more distant future Binh hopes to utilize his education outside the states. “I do hope to become a researcher/scientist of some sort, go back to Vietnam and revitalize the sadly dying biology field there.”

While others sometimes find Oxy to be lacking in terms of a college experience Binh never feels the need to deny his love for the school. “I have grown so so much ever since I came here. Every aspect of my life—friendships, academics, love, interests, beliefs—has been constantly and positively challenged,” says the sophomore. “I officially came out in my freshman year, so like I said above, thanks to Oxy I have been exploring and redefining myself. People say whatever about the “Oxy bubble”, but for me, considering I come from a completely contrasting national and cultural background, it has been a great life-learning experience. Fun fact: my dad still wants me to transfer, but yea, um NO!”

Regardless of his love for Oxy, like the rest of us Binh still can’t wait to get away for break. He will be traveling to Texas to stay with some friends from Vietnam and then will be going to Fort Colllins to go skiing (for the first time he excitedly adds) with fellow sophomore Amy Long.

So before he heads off to the Lone Star state, if you’re looking for a friendly face during this stressful finals week turn your gaze slightly downward from his ice-blond hair and say hi to Binh Vuong.

P.S. Binh wants us to know that Ph?, the hugely popular Vietnamese dish, is only eaten at breakfast! So go eat some Vietnamese breakfast in honor of Binh!

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.