6 Amazing Apps for Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Whether you’re currently studying abroad or daydreaming about your post-graduation backpacking trip in the library, plan your next adventure with these amazing apps for the iPhone. Plus, they’re all free!

InstaPlace takes your social media game to the next level. It allows you to create ‘postcards’ of your pictures, adding text and stamps to personalize and digitize where you’ve been. Of course you can share the image on your favorite social media sites or add it to that travel blog you will eventually make. 

Depending on the type of trip you’re taking, it’s likely you will want access to wifi. That’s why Wi-Fi Finder will be your best friend. Like the name suggests, it tells you where you can get free and public wifi to visit and read Her Campus because what else do you use wifi for??? Right??? 

If you are traveling in Europe, then you have to take advantage of the rail system. It’s a fun and memorable way to go from country to country, and it’s not too overwhelming with the help of Rail Planner. Prepare to come home to the US and laugh/cry at our miserable public transportation system. Yay!

The very best part of traveling abroad is that it costs money and is very easy to go over your budget. Okay, no, but XE Currency makes keeping track of exchange rates 100 times easier, and can stop you from buying that ridiculously overpriced espresso. 

This is an important one. Unless you plan on sleeping under a bridge, you will need to find a place for lodging. Hostelworld.com‘s app helps you find inexpensive and unique hostels for a comfortable night’s sleep. You can also read and leave reviews of the hostel, just like Yelp. 

If you and a friend are feeling adventurous (and maybe stingy) forget the hostel and use CouchSurfing. Choosing from a list of approved and reviewed hosts, you can find real people who actually want to offer up their couch or spare bed to you for free. Of course never do this alone because that sounds like the storyline of a horror movie. But still, it’s an awesome deal that connects you with locals and not just the tourism industry. 

Download this ultimate set of travel apps ASAP and happy exploring!