5 Ways to Love Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.
  1. Wear clothes that make you feel comfortable.

In every way. Not just physical comfort (although that’s super important), but wear what makes you feel comfortable emotionally. May it be cozy sweaters or colored jeans, wear what makes you feel best. Don’t let anyone shame you out of wearing what you want.

2. Take care of yourself physically.Buy a reusable water bottle. Fill it up every morning and drink it. Repeat. Make sure you’re getting enough protein. Veggies. Carbs. Sugar. Take time to eat full, balanced meals three times a day. Snack when you’re hungry. Honor the energy your body needs. And sleep! Never underestimate the power of a good night’s rest.  
  3. Take care of yourself mentally. If you’re feeling overwhelmed with work, it’s worth taking a break. Watch Netflix. Call your mom. Go outside and sit in the sun. Write, draw, read, relax. Be with yourself. Be with your friends. Explore your neighborhood. Go somewhere new. Go to your favorite place. Take the time to focus in on what you need. If you need to detach from stress for a couple minutes in order to function, honor what you need.

4. Be active.Walk as often as you can. Walk outside. Maybe go for a run? Be proud of what your body can do. Dance. Do yoga. Go to an intermural soccer practice. Be active in a way that is respectful of your physical and mental limits. Be active in a way that makes you feel strong. Be active in a way that makes you proud of the space you occupy.
  5. Let your body be loved, appreciated, treasured, cared for, defended, honored.Let as many or as few people love your body as you want. But always remember, the most important love your body will receive is the love that you show it.
Sophomore at Occidental College. Critical Theory and Social Justice Major.
I am an aspiring blogger/instagrammer/vine star from sunny Southern California. I have a passion for crafting, crocheting and Disneyland!