This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

There are key moments to be serious in life: failing a class, getting married, making decisions that may save other people’s lives like not driving when drunk or high, etcetera etcetera. But school elections for positions in clubs isn’t one of those things I would classify as being a key moment in life to be so serious as to not care who you hurt in the process or what a high-stressed environment you cause. As many know, student elections for SGA president and Vice President, among other positions in SGA, were held recently. Student scandals developed. There were petitions to stop the elections even for a short time until different issues were sorted out. People started calling out others by name and accusing them of various things. We are all worried about our futures, I’m sure, so we feel the need to put more and more bullet points on our resumes, and get competitive in the process. What people seemed to forget in this election was that the position people were so viciously fighting over and burning bridges for was just a position for a school club. There are tons of clubs out there and tons more roles to fill, so why make such a giant deal out of such a relatively small thing? Try out for another position. Keep trying. But don’t push others down to get ahead in life in the process. Stop comparing yourselves to others, thinking of what they have and you don’t. By comparing each other in such a jealous, competitive light, divisions are created and tensions arise. This article is not meant to sound holier than thou. This article is meant to be a wake-up call to students—a wake-up call that there is more to life than getting a position in a club to boost your ego or resume, because at the end of the day, even SGA president is just a position in a school club.

Student at Emory University, Student Instructor for Poli Sci, Founding Staff Writer for Emory Political Review, Staff Writer for HerCampus
Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.