What You Need to Know About Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s time to take a break from school and enjoy great food along with friends and family. Here are 10 fun facts to get you ready for the holiday!

1) Sarah Josepha Hale, the woman who wrote “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” convinced Abraham Lincoln to declare Thanksgiving a national holiday. All thanks to her, we get to celebrate every year.

2) Frozen Turkey Bowling is a real thing…

In order to raise money for smoking awareness and to encourage students to quit “cold turkey”, students at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse transformed a grocery store aisle into a bowling alley and use frozen turkeys to knock down bowling pins.

3) San Franciscans aren’t all that interested in eating turkey on Thanksgiving. Instead, their tradition is to eat Dungeness Crab for their main dish.

4) 4,500 calories are approximately the number of calories an individual consumes during the Thanksgiving meal according to Calorie Control Council.

5) The Snoopy Balloon has appeared in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade more than any other balloon in history.

6) There is a Turkey Talk-Line hotline available to answer any variety of turkey questions around the holiday season. The hotline answers approximately 100,000 calls every year.

7) 20% of all cranberries consumed in the U.S. per year are consumed on Thanksgiving Day.

8) The night before Thanksgiving is the biggest drinking night of the year.

9) Approximately 80% of Americans think that Thanksgiving leftovers taste better than the actual meal.

10) Thanksgiving is not just an American holiday. Canada is also known to take part in the tradition on the second Monday in October.

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.