Three Things I Learned This Year to Help Me Help Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.
  1. Planning My Days Out

This is probably the most important thing I’ve taught myself to do this year. Everyone morning as I sip on my coffee, I write out three goals for the day. Goals can include going for a run, completing a certain number of pages on a paper that’s due soon, studying for an hour, or as simple as calling a family member. These three goals must be completed before I go to bed at night. As an easily distracted procrastinator, this goal system has been invaluable to me all year. It makes me more accountable for my daily decision-making and helps to keep me from cramming everything in last minute. I highly recommend this system for anyone who can’t help but procrastinate.

2. Getting My Greens

This is another important thing that I noticed really helped my overall health. I have a salad once a day. Simple as that. No excuses. Once a day, either for lunch or dinner, I have a salad with the works: greens, veggies, seeds, protein, and an oil-based dressing. It helps to beat the sluggish feel of eating too much rich food and boosts your energy!

3. Me Time.

College is a very intrapersonal place. It’s hard to get away and have a moment’s peace, but I have found that taking twenty minutes to an hour a day to do something completely on my own has been something that has boosted my happiness, confidence, attitude, and morale. Whether I go for a walk on the Nature Trails or ask my roommate for the room to myself to just lay in bed and chill out to some music, this time to myself to just be quiet and reflect has helped me out this year to deal with stress, homesickness, and emotional fatigue.

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.