This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

As the week approaches, I look at the calendar and see what I have in store for me for this time. I have an essay due tomorrow night, a math quiz on Tuesday, chapter 3 of the textbook for history and finally the weekends with my birthday. Traditionally turning 19 does not come with any big parties or celebrations but as I approach the day I feel like something is on the horizon. Turning 18 is near synonymous with entering adulthood, through being able to marry, vote, and live on your own. Most 18 year olds graduate high school and go on to college. Being 18 has a lot in store for people, but what does 19 have to offer?

Turning 19 is like an in-between year. One year away from turning 20 and living for two decades and one year has passed since reaching adulthood. I am excited for my birthday and excited to gain another year but am sad to leave 18. 18 is a coming of age and I matured and changed throughout the past 12 months. It was a big year in my life for my academic success and allowed me to grow. I managed to sustain a relationship and fall in love. I lived independent of my parents and was able to make it through a semester (and counting of college). For all intents and purposes, I am an adult and being 18 helped to solidify that.

While 18 brought me adulthood, I hope 19 can help me sustain my independence and allow me to grow further in my role as a full-fledged adult. With every year passing responsibilities increase and I hope to tackle and succeed with every obstacle thrown at me. While turning 19 is not associated with any memorable ceremonies, I hope to make my 19th year one to remember.

Dominiki Kurz

Oxford Emory

American from London living in Georgia 
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.