Make Your Resume Stand Out from the Crowd!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Spring break has passed, and the clock is ticking down to summer! With only a few weeks left before finals, now is the time to start searching for a summer job or internship position if you haven’t already. This can be the perfect opportunity to learn more about the field or industry you are looking to enter after college!

It may even be the perfect opportunity to find out whether or not you are actually interested in your current intended career path. If you are a student at Oxford, you should still have time to rethink your major if you end up finding out you like something else more than your current plans.

In your search for a summer job or internship, you will most likely be sending out a plethora of resumes and cover letters. Here are some tips to make your resume stand out amongst the hundreds of other resumes that get sent to the positions you are applying for.

1. Correct Spelling

Make sure your spelling is correct. You can get a friend or trusted advisor to proofread your resume. The person reading your resume most likely has a large stack of resumes to get through. A simple spelling mistake could be an instant turn off, especially amongst a pool of highly skilled and qualified candidates. Can’t spell? Next!

1. Formatting

A huge error is having inconsistent formatting throughout a resume. This can make a resume hard to follow and understand. Keep things simple. Also, make sure to use a font size between 10 and 12 to ensure that your resume is readable. Anything larger than 12 can become obnoxious and unprofessional. If your font is any smaller than ten, your prospective employer may not be able easily make out the writing.

1. Experience

When creating your resume make sure to include relevant experience. This experience can be from former jobs or internships. Haven’t had a job or internship before? Never fear. You can list courses that are relevant to the position you are applying for. Extracurriculars can also be great for filling in the experience section of your resume. Don’t forget to list any volunteer work you’ve done!

1. Engaging verbs

Make sure to talk yourself up. Your resume is your place to shine. Use engaging active verbs and adjectives when describing your qualities, motivations, and experience.

1. On Cover Letters

Keep them positive, short, and to the point. Why hire you? Hook your employer professionally and personally.

1. Visit Career Services

Not sure where to start? Head to career services. The lovely staff there will sit down with you and help you create a cover letter and resume. They can even send you in the right direction for finding internships that interest you.

1. Go to Resume Workshops

Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for college emails about resume workshops. If you get an email about a resume workshop, go. Getting feedback with someone that has more experience than you can help bring your resume to the next level.

1. Attend Networking Events on Campus

Now that you have the tools to polish up your resume, don’t forget the importance of making connections with people. A great aspect about being in college at Emory is that there are numerous networking events with people working in various fields. Look up events that have employers or internship opportunities that interest you, and go get to know some of the people there. Who knows, maybe you will find an opportunity that you wouldn’t have come across otherwise. Also, it helps to give employers a face to put with your resume. This way they feel like they know you.

Time to send out those applications!

Darya Farrokhi

Oxford Emory

Darya is currently a sophomore at Oxford College of Emory University. In her spare time, she likes to run, mountain bike, paint, and read books. Her current intended major is Biology. She has a passion for exploring the outdoors and hopes to share that with others.
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.