A Letter to Freshman Girls On Rushing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

I never thought I would be a sorority girl. My primary image of sororities came from movies like Legally Blonde and Sydney White. But as per my 2017 resolution of trying new things, I decided to rush and I’m very glad I did.

There were certainly some aspects I didn’t appreciate about the process itself. We were shuffled from one lodge to another, talking to girls for hours on end each day. They were seemingly unnecessary “off rounds” as well, where we weren’t allowed to talk or have our phones when not in a sorority lodge.

Despite the strict structure and rules during Rush, the Pi Chi’s (the girls in charge of Rush) were comforting to talk about the experience with and very helpful in helping you decide what house fit you best. 

Also, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the conversations I had with many of the girls. You only get to speak to a few girls in the sorority at each round, but I found that I had consistently great chats with the sisters of one sorority in particular. Many of the other potential new members felt the same way – that there was a particular house you simply felt connected to.

Though it was a bit nerve-wracking to go into eight sororities full of girls I didn’t know, the girls themselves weren’t at all intimidating; everyone was friendly and easy to talk to. Though I was constantly in need of water from all the talking, the rounds went by very quickly.

Fortunately, I am now pledging to the sorority I felt most connected to and I’m getting to know so many awesome girls at the Atlanta campus. Though I now feel torn between Oxford and Atlanta, the main campus already feels so much more like home.

All Images Sourced from Pexels

Sydney Sumrall

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.