The Irmapocalypse Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Hurricane Irma has wreaked havoc on numerous communities and with its imminent yet unpredictable arrival, it is important to know how to prepare yourself for the worst-case-scenario. The following guidelines should help you and yours to stay safe during and immediately after the storm hits!

1.     Stay Informed

I cannot stress enough how important it is to stay informed on how the storm is moving and when it is predicted to arrive at your doorstep. It is also important to stay up to date in case your area is being advised to evacuate. Emory University has recommended all students to download the LiveSafe app to stay informed and updated!

2.     Assess your Individual Risk

Your risk can differ from your classmates, family, and friends. It is important to note what challenges and threats are more imminent to your situation. How vulnerable is your home (or dorm) to flooding, wind, falling trees, etc? For example, if you live on a ground or basement floor, you are probably at a higher risk for flooding, so unplug electronics, and move your stuff off the floor if possible!

3.     Plan & Take Action

Storms can wreak havoc on the infrastructure we are accustomed to. Be prepared for power outages, losing access to water, gas, electricity, and cellular service. When the storm hits, you could be separated from friends and family so make a contingency plan to find or contact each other and know how to ensure that they are safe.

4.     Supplies Kit

The National Hurricane Center advises that you have a basic supplies kit. This kit should include 2.5-3 gallons of Water per person (for drinking and sanitation), Non-perishable Food (3 days’ worth for each person), a flashlight, a First aid kit (disinfectant, band aids, etc), Moist towelettes and garbage bags for personal sanitation, and a Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery.

5.     Evacuation

If you are in an evacuation zone, it is important to know how to stay safe on the roads and to be prepared for your journey. You can prepare for possible evacuation by keeping a full tank of gas, planning where you are going and how to get there, and having enough cash, clothing, non-perishable food, and water to get you through your journey. During an evacuation you must follow the instructions of any police or personnel to ensure everyone’s safety.

6.     After the Storm

Hurricanes can cause tornadoes to follow in their wake so be prepared to seek shelter in a lower ground, enclosed area without windows. It is also important to be sure that the storm is actually over. The eye of the storm may make you think that the storm is over when really it could be just a short reprieve.

7.     Recovery

Once you are certain that the storm has finally passed, and your area has been declared safe, you can begin the recovery process. Be vigilant and remain safe from debris, be aware of potentially contaminated water supply, and be prepared to help your community to heal and to rebuild, Disaster Assistance is available through organizations like the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and both federal and local grants.

We can’t be sure how Irma will affect Oxford or its surrounding communities but it never hurts to be prepared for the worst! Irma will arrive on Monday so be attentive to any and all messages, alarms, or sirens from Oxford College or the local community. Please advise your friends and family who might be affected to follow these guidelines too! Stay dry and stay safe!

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!
Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.