How to Defy Gender Roles and Relieve Social Pressure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

“Don’t play with dolls, those are for girls.”  

“Why is your hair so short, you look like a boy.”  

These are phrases commonly heard that determine the way that children define differences between boys and girls. Why does society have to reinforce gender differences? Males and females are not opposites. It is crucial to understand that there are differences amongst the two, but more importantly there are SIMILARITIES. 

As a college first-year, I am still seeing the segregation between genders as students chose who to sit around with and to form classroom groups with. Seating arrangements and study groups that are prominently male/female reflect that principles brought up at young age continue to influence actions and perceptions as the child grows into adulthood.  In a discovery seminar offered at my university, we’ve analyzed research that observe every aspect of social bonds. One of the findings that caught my attention was how children are excluded from forming healthy relationships because they have “gender atypical behaviors” or act like the “opposite gender”. It is absurd to think that since the beginning of elementary education students are already facing bullying and exclusion because they don’t fit into their gender category. Luckily, there are several actions that can defy this social misunderstanding.  

Do NOT refer to gender DIFFERENCES as gender opposites.  

If society as whole starts following the idea that both genders are a single species and not opposing enemies, then future generations will eventually fade the idea of gender roles. Boys and girls should be able to enjoy their childhood and let their creative minds be. An accepting community is the best way that older generations can impact children.  

Focus on gender similarities. 

There are so many common characteristics in men and women that usually go unnoticed. They are both HUMAN! Taking this into consideration, both genders need positivity to carry a healthy self-esteem. Both genders are constrained to act accordingly, but once the pressure is off then men and women don’t to have to worry about acting one way or another.  

Accept the differences but promote equality. 

Even though it is important to diminish gender roles, there are qualities that pertain to each gender. The differences should only imply complementary relationships. For instance, if a male is physically stronger than a woman and sees her carrying a heavy box, a helping hand would be appreciated. In that same way, if a man or woman can see that one of their differences is pressuring the other, then action to promote equality is suggested. I have a friend taking a women’s genders course and she found it odd that there was only one male in the class. As she continued in the course, she realized that the professor was very biased towards her belief that only females are pressured gender wise. Instances like this is where gender differences can be accepted, like in the case that women receive a lower wage than men, but that it is not necessarily at their fault.  

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.