This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

I am sure at some point or another we have all struggled with the way we look. Body-negativity is such a common thing in our society. People of all genders, this includes men, can have issues with their body image.

Body-positivity is not an easy thing to come by. I don’t claim to be completely body positive myself. It is something that I think people should focus more on and possibly in a completely different way than they usually address it. When people are unhappy with the way they look, their solution is often to “eat healthier” and “start exercising.” These things are important to a person’s health, but you should be doing them for the right reasons. You should want to eat healthier and exercise because you honestly feel as though you do not lead a healthy lifestyle. Your reasoning should not be “to be thinner,” or if you feel too thin then your reasoning for a new diet should not be to just “gain weight or muscle.” I will always support people who want to change their life for the better, but make sure you are actually changing for the better.

Body-positivity does not have to stem from the ability to eat healthier, exercise, and ultimately gain the body you believe you should have. Body-positivity should be achieved with whatever body you have. The only way to become body-positive is not to completely change the way you look, but in fact it is important to find a way to be happy with the way you look right now. If you feel healthy and think you lead a decently healthy lifestyle but believe that your body doesn’t match that, it doesn’t mean that you need to lose weight. People have different body shapes, and people with the exact same diet won’t be able to look exactly the same. Therefore, if you are healthy, then embrace who you are. I know this is easier said than done, but it is so important to recognize that if you feel good with the way you live your life, then you shouldn’t feel bad about the way you look.

Often we compare ourselves to everyone around us, but remember that the presence of beauty in another person does not equate the absence of beauty in you. If you are struggling with body image, then surround yourself with people who will support you and who will support themselves. It is important to lift others up while not putting yourself down at the same time. “Wow, I wish I was as thin as you” may seem like a compliment, but it isn’t. You are putting yourself down, and that person may not like the way they look either. Love the way you look without putting emphasis on comparing it to the way others look. Getting rid of these types of phrases will help you start to appreciate your own body shape.

Overall, a good self-image may not come immediately, but if you feel good about the

way you are living your life, then your body is perfect for you. Even if you aren’t quite to that point, you still look good, but it is okay to strive to be healthier and happier.

As an addition, here are a few wonderfully body positive people to follow on Instagram if seeing positive messages will help you:

@thesabrinakarlsson

@bodyposipanda

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.