Why Did My Depression Get Worse?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Depression is one of the worst things I’ve had to deal with in my life. It makes doing simple things like getting out of bed and going to class feel like an impossible task. Courses can be quite stressful, especially with finals looming right around the corner. Next semester is already just about two months away, so the pressure to do well is constantly weighing down on  your shoulders, as if you’re holding up the world.

I’ve noticed that my depression and anxiety have skyrocketed since meeting someone that I may be developing feelings for. I know this happens to other college girls who have either never been in a relationship, or have had bad experiences with them. My mind keeps telling me that this person will abandon me, or that they are simply using me for something, or even that they will suddenly realize that they can do better and find someone else. I know all of these thoughts are most likely untrue and that my brain is just trying to protect me from past mistakes, but living like that is an endless cycle of unhappiness.

For other girls feeling this way, know that you ARE enough, and anyone who can’t see how absolutely perfect you are does not deserve your time and affection. These feelings you have are just your mind’s way of tricking you into falling into the abyss that is depression. Do not fall for it’s tricks. There is always a possibility of someone hurting you, but you will never know unless you give it a chance. Risks are a part of life and most of the time are unavoidable, and sometimes they can lead to fantastic moments and people. Simply just talking about your feelings to another person you trust can also help dramatically, as they most likely have helped you before and know how to console you.

Depression and anxiety are the worst things for me to deal with, but they also make me stronger because I know that  am strong and can survive through this sadness. Take life one day at a time, take a deep breath, and take those feelings and use them to push you to do what you want.

I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!