courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

When Is It Time To Break Up With A Friend?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

We are used to hearing about break-ups between romantic partners. But what about breaking up with a friend you are close to? Friendship break-ups are more common than you think. Most of the time, it happens on its own. Sometimes friends drift apart because they are going to different colleges,you stop spending time together, you forget to call them on a birthday, or you simply don’t have anything in common anymore. It’s normal to feel like you have outgrown someone, even the person you once felt closest with.

But when something horrible rocks your friendship, something unforgivable, then it’s time to cut them out of your life. Arguments and fights can happen between friends, but sometimes the blow is too much to bare. That’s when you know the end is near. I know it sounds depressing and sad, but it can actually be a good thing.

Here are a few examples of when you should break up with a friend (as told by Mean Girls gifs). 

1. They are talking bad about you behind your back

2. They tried to flirt with your boyfriend/girlfriend

3. They put you down or call you negative names

4. They don’t allow you to grow and are jealous of you

Just as a romantic relationship turns sour and you cut them off, you can do the same with other relationships too. If your friend turns into a foe, it is important to tell them how you feel and to remove them from your life. You should surround yourself with people you can trust will have your back. If you no longer feel comfortable around someone the way you used to, then something is wrong.

Don’t ever feel scared or ashamed to tell someone that you no longer want to be friends with them. It can be an uncomfortable thing to do, but if ignored you will  be forcing a relationship you don’t really want to be a part of. It is better to surround yourself with people who motivate you. People who you share an interest with and can relate to. Remember, it is better to have one really great best friend than five sneaky ones.

I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!