prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

We Need To Start Talking About Body Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I have often heard many people at my school ask others how they “look.” This often refers to their body image and not how they appear at that given moment. I have found that young adults love asking these kind of questions, which inspired me to write an opinion/interview piece on body image.

Your physical attributes such as your shape, hair type, and the “energy” you send off to others all represent your body image. This energy signifies how others view you. There are several healthy ways to display a specific body image.

Trying to be consistent with what you eat can help you think positively about your body and feel better. Eating healthy can give you a boost of energy and maintain positive thinking. Yoga is another exercise that helps clear your mind of negative thoughts. Taking care of your health is the best way to display and maintain a positive body image.

Everyone should have a positive outlook on their body. Obsessing over how you look isn’t good. Instead, accepting what you look like and treating your body well is a healthy practice to getting your body to where you want it to be. The goal should be feeling healthy and proud of who you are.

The severeness on body shaming women:

College women are vulnerable when it comes to body image at this stage in life, which is why social media can be a dangerous platform. Body Dysmorphic Disorder is when an individual obsesses over a perceived flaw in their appearance which is the most common result of body shaming. This can lead to other disorders such as anorexia and bulimia.

Women need to support each other and stop putting each other down. Spread awareness about body shaming and body image in order to help build positive relationships. Instead of judging others, focus on how you can help that person grow. Do not compare yourself to others or envy their opportunities. Instead, understand that you are beautiful and opportunities that are meant for you will come. Don’t post negative comments on others post. Instead, build each other up with compliments.

Know you are beautiful and surround yourself with people who build you up, not tear you apart.

Halle Paz

New Paltz '20

Halle is a Junior transfer at The State University of New York at New Paltz. Her passions Include Acting, Dancing and Fashion. She is majoring in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Performance and a minor in Business Administration. She became involved with Her Campus at her previous institution; SUNY Oswego, and absolutely loved the organization. She is the oldest of 7 and is of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent. She hopes to improve her writing skills and create a platform for young women like herself.
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!