Vagina Monologues Celebrates Women’s Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The Vagina Monologues premiered for the second time at Oswego State last week.  While there were plenty of vaginas in the audience, there were also some males soaking in all the estrogen as Friday’s showing brought a full house to Waterman Theatre.  A full house of people who were ready to hear about vaginas, sob stories, happy tales and angry journeys.

Throughout history, women have had all different types of experiences with their vaginas.  Some have experienced floods, some experienced other vaginas, some experienced orgasms, and ghastly enough, some have never experienced an orgasm at all.  You name it-these women have experienced it.

The flood.  An elderly woman remembers her first flood.  It happened years ago, but she has not forgotten it.  It stuck with her enough that she has not given herself a chance to experience it again.  She kept those legs closed, refused to see her “down there,” as she put it, “as anything but the cellar to her house.”

“No one wants to see my down there,” she said.

Closed up for the season, the year, eternity.  It’s safe to say, her first experience with her “down there” came as a surprise, literally.

Coochie Snorcher.  Since she was a young woman she never had a positive experience with her coochie snorcher.  Her mother would tell her she was going to scratch her coochie snorcher right off if she kept scratching like that.  Her father’s best friend violated her coochie snorcher.  She fell and banged her coochie snorcher on the post of her bed. 

But then she met the beautiful, sophisticated, new neighbor.  She soon learned the wonders of her coochie snorcher, the wonders of another woman’s coochie snorcher.  She had the little coochie snorcher that could…and would.

Happy vaginas and the women who like to make them happy.  She loved to make vaginas happy.  She loved the sound of a happy vagina.  Loud sounds, quiet sounds, deep sounds.  Sounds of peer pleasure, sounds of not-so-satisfied pleasure and sounds of repeated pleasure.  She also loved the steps it took to make those sounds, steps that included toys. She loved vaginas.

Finding your vagina and all it has to offer.  She attended a workshop.  She sat on a mat in a room with other women and their vaginas.  She took a mirror and she looked at her vagina for the first time.  She tried to find her pleasure button; she concentrated and concentrated, but nothing.  She thought she must be broken.  She never used it, so it must have just up and left her.  Finally, she let herself go, she stopped concentrating on where it was, what it looked like, felt like.  She found it.

The violated vagina.  Comfort women in Japan were violated sexually, physically and emotionally.  They were forced to see their vagina not as a source of pleasure, pride or life, but rather as a tool to serve men.  A source of shame.  It did not belong to them, but rather to the men they served.  Their vaginas had been violated.

Women and their vaginas have faced numerous situations.   Vagina’s love to talk.  They love to share their stories and their experiences whether they’re good or bad.  We applaud these stories.  We applaud the vagina, and so should you, collegiettes™.

Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.