Unapologetically Black: An Empowering Event, Powerful Message

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As February comes to a close so does Black History Month. Black History Month is a month that celebrates black pride and acknowledges the struggles that black people have encountered in the past in order to create a better future for generations to come. What better way to celebrate Black History Month than having Oswego’s own Black Student Union throw what is, arguably, one of the most anticipated club events of the spring semester, the Variety Show!

This year’s Variety Show used the popular theme “unapologetic.” The meaning behind the theme showcased all that is black culture and the pride behind it. The theme, “unapologetic,” emphasises being unapologetically black. To be unapologetically black means no longer conforming to the standards of beauty or professionalism set by “white America.” It is pride in skin color, curves and everything else that comes with being black in America.

In one of the scenes during the show, two female students with differing body sizes stood before the audience with insecurities written all over their body and they stated those insecurities. This message to “be proud of your curves and whatever makes you unique” not only conveyed the “unapologetically black” message but was also a statement that women of all races, cultures and ethnicities can relate to. No matter where a woman comes from in American society, beauty standards often leave the majority of women out of the picture and lower self esteems of women nationwide. This scene preached to women that they should embrace their bodies, no matter what shape.

The show incorporated modeling, dancing, and rapping to entertain the diverse audience. Events like these remind students to embrace their culture and bring diverse groups of students to celebrate and learn about the variety of cultural groups making up the student body at SUNY Oswego.

My name is Yaritza Sencion and I am sophomore in SUNY Oswego majoring in Cinema and Screens Studies and Theatre with a minor in Arts management. I enjoy writing film reviews and film news but I like to concentrate on Hollywoods lack of women and diversity within the industry.
My name is Alesha Barrett and I'm a junior at SUNY Oswego. I am a Journalism Major and a Sociology and History double minor. My journalism concentration is sports and entertainment as you will see in many of the articles that I post. My dream job would be to work with Turner Sports Broadcasting Company in Atlanta, GA. Originally from Brooklyn, NY, I always had a passion for writing and NBA basketball so I wanted to combine the two into my career goal.
Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.