photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Thanksgiving With “The” Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

November is finally here and unfortunately this means it’s that time of the year for us students to be cramming homework, drinking energy drinks for overnight study sessions and being sleep deprived. But fear not, there is a silver lining behind all this hard work- Thanksgiving break!  Not only do the holidays bring families back together but it can also be the perfect time to introduce your significant other to them as well. As nerve-wracking as it may sound, there will be a level of certainty in the end. This can be the perfect opportunity for you to figure out whether this relationship is a serious one or a relationship you should walk away from. But first, you have to be willing to answer the question:

“I was doing a lot of thinking these days and I would love for you to meet my parents, How do you feel about that?”

The first normal reaction and response is to say, “Yes!” But within that “yes” there is a huge knot of anxiety and unease of whether this will go very well or … not so much. Once it’s been decided whether or not to meet the family, follow these tips to make the experience easier!

Step 1: Be curious and ask questions

Do not be afraid to ask questions about meeting them. The sooner you ask who is going to be there and what to expect and how to act, the better prepared you will be for the initial meeting. It is always good to know what you are up against. Ask questions about what the family is like, and who they are- is dad protective? Is sister a jokester? Don’t assume, ask!

Step 2: Figure out if this is what you want

Before agreeing to spend any holiday at your significant other’s house, you need to be able to figure out if this is something that you absolutely want. Answering these questions beforehand is of major importance: “Is meeting your significant lover’s family important to you?” “Is it important to your significant other?” “Is this relationship very serious for the both of you?” “Are you both really ready to take this next step together?”  If “yes” is the answer to all of these questions, your relationship is in good standing and you are ready to take that next step.

Step 3: Location, transportation and time

If you are planning to spend Thanksgiving at your significant other’s house, make sure you know where and what time. If you decide to arrive at your significant other’s house on your own, you need to make sure you’re arriving a little early and not late. You do not want to be “that person” to interrupt the holiday feast because you are late. When you are early you have the benefit of getting to know the family before the big feast and you may be of great assistance by helping set the table or light a few more candles- offering to help is a big plus!

Step 4: Plan your outfit ahead

You want to look amazing, but make sure your amazing is comfortable and respectful. Remember you are meeting the family.  Just make sure you don’t stress over your image too much because it will be your personality at the end that will matter most. And don’t forget it’s a holiday of food! You want to make sure you have enough space to enjoy your meal, so don’t wear anything tight!

Step 5: Be true to yourself

During your evening with your significant others family, do not change who you really are. If your significant other loves you for the person you are, your significant other’s family will too. One thing my family has taught me is that family can see a snake from a mile away, especially a snake that has found their way to their beloved’s heart.  Be respectful, kind, listen when they speak to you, ask questions, but most importantly, stay true to yourself and always be you.