Ten Ways To Celebrate Christmas At College Before Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Fall semester is quickly coming to an end. After Thanksgiving break is over, we only have a short but hectic two weeks left of the semester – and then it’s finals week! In between the stress of the semester we tend to forget that it is also “the most wonderful time of the year”. Personally, I’m a Christmas enthusiast. During one of the busiest times of the year, I like to add some joy into my life by celebrating Christmas every day! Below are 10 things I love to do to get myself in the Christmas mood and avoid as many end of the semester breakdowns as possible!

1. Decorate your dorm.

This doesn’t mean you have to spend a ton of money. I got all of my decorations this year at the Dollar Tree and Big Lots in Oswego. Seeing my Christmas tree sparkling each day is a mood brightener!

2. Take a night to go see the Christmas tree in town.

This is now a tradition for me and one of my best friends! Once a year, we pick a night and go and spend time by the tree to admire how far we’ve come and the joy of the season. The huge, glowing tree is located right in the center of town by the Town Hall.

3. Enjoy the house decorations.

In addition to seeing the tree, I love driving around and seeing the individual houses decorated for Christmas! Right before the end of the semester the majority of the houses in Oswego are shining bright. So grab a bunch of friends, turn up the Christmas tunes and enjoy the view!

4. Two words: Secret. Santa.

Honestly, who doesn’t love Secret Santa? My friends and I make a weekend out of our Secret Santa. Friday night we dress up and party one last time before the semester ends. Saturday, we watch Christmas movies and drink cups of hot cocoa (more than we probably should). To finish out our weekend, on Sunday we all wear our most festive outfits, jump in the car and head to Hibachi where we enjoy each other’s company and exchange gifts. This is one of my favorite weekends because this is the last time my entire group of friends can hang out before we all go our separate ways for break.

5. Make a Gingerbread house.

Personally, I think this is the absolute best way to take the nerve of finals off. My roommate, best friend, and I had maybe too much fun making one last year. The gingerbread house kits can be bought almost anywhere and provide endless laughs.

6. Do something special with your roommate​.

My roommate and I have stockings hanging in our room. We put fifteen items in each other’s stockings and one by one we pick an item to open each day leading up to Christmas break! This gives us something to look forward to after long hours in the library.

7. Make your Christmas list. I’m sure over every Thanksgiving break you get asked more than once what you want for Christmas. In between making those study guides, why not make a list of your current must haves? Make sure you keep the list open and ready to edit because you never know what you will think of when you should be thinking of that statistics test.

8. Spend a Sunday morning watching the snow fall.

Sundays are normally filled with the impending anxiety of the week to follow (and sometimes a nasty hangover). Before jumping out of bed to try to get your day started, take a moment to appreciate the beauty of the  Oswego winters! They get a lot of hate, understandably. However, take a moment to appreciate how pretty it is looking out your dorm window. It is one of the best sights of the semester.

9. Enjoy the Starbucks Holiday Collection. Call me a “Basic White Girl” if you wish but seeing the Red Cups and the special Starbucks Holiday Menu gets me so excited every year. Take a study break, find your way to the Lake Effect Cafe in the Library and take a sip of the Peppermint Mocha (my favorite).

10. Make a “____ Days Until” countdown.

In the end we are all just dreaming of the moment that our last final is over and we get to go home and celebrate the holiday with our families. Best way to do that and feel excited about the anticipation? Make a countdown! It doesn’t matter if it’s on your laptop, desk, or phone. Find joy in changing the number day by day.

What was your favorite Christmas thing to do before break? Leave a comment below!

Hello, I'm Kaitlin. I am a Marketing major with a double major in Public Relations at SUNY Oswego. I have an incredibly strong love for the fashion industry, and hope to obtain a career involving that passion once I graduate in 2018. I have been a member of Her Campus for two years now and am extremely excited to be a Chapter Advisor! I'm a self proclaimed Christmas enthusiast, an avid lover of rainy days, and fun fact: I co-own an international pop-culture blog! 
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.