Ted Winkworth: Lending a Hand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Walking around campus, it’s not uncommon to spot a poster for Thursday night’s Open Mic in the Lake Effect Café or this week’s Toilet Talk in your dorm’s bathroom.  The Lifestyles Center has made a point of promoting healthy choices and this week’s campus celebrity is one of the faces behind the effort, Ted Winkworth.

Ted Winkworth is SUNY Oswego’s AOD (Alcohol and Other Drug) Program Coordinator.  Since January of 2010 he’s been working in the Lifestyles Center doing individual counseling for students coping with alcohol and drug abuse.  He has a Bachelor’s in Psychology from the University of Buffalo (he spent one year at Oswego!) and completed his Master’s Degree in Mental Health Counseling at Syracuse University.

Winkworth previously worked at a drug rehab and wanted to bring his talents to a college campus.  He also worked at Syracuse University’s Options Center and as a Child/Family Advocate for Oswego County Opportunities.  Ted chose to work at Oswego to both continue his work with drug counseling and to get his foot in the door on a college campus. 

“I want to help people,” he says, “but it’s really hard to figure out when someone’s better.  How do you know when everything’s fixed?  Drug and alcohol addiction was interesting to me because you come in with a clear cut problem and when we’re done if the job is done right, you no longer have this problem…it’s a meaningful job for me.”

Winkworth’s dedication and passion is obvious when he talks about personal counseling and drug education for students. 

“Getting to talk to students who have no idea where they’re headed or where they’re going…I can kind of see myself as a Freshman in their shoes and be able to help people along the way and say ‘alright, this is how you get out of this mess’ and to be able to see positive changes…that’s just awesome.” 

His personal interest in music has become a big part of his job.  He was a member of a band for 10 years, but now can be seen at Lifestyles’ open mic and karaoke nights on campus.  The Indie Series is another project he’s involved in, where bands are brought onto campus.  

Outside of Oswego you can catch Winkworth seeking adventure.  His hobbies include snowboarding, any sports, street art and making music.  You might even spot him driving his motorcycle around campus.

You can keep an eye out for Ted at Lifestyles, but don’t be surprised if you find students registering for one of (the future) Professor Winkworth’s classes one day.  Whether you’re in need of counseling, someone to listen to you, or even an interview for fellow collegiettes™, he’s very open to lending a hand.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.