Study Skills for the Successful Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Suddenly, the clock strikes midnight and you realize, with horror, that you still have 15 more pages of notes to read before your dreaded exam the next morning. “Why, oh, why did I wait until the last minute to begin studying?” you ask yourself furiously. “If only I had planned my time more wisely and had made a study schedule, then maybe I could at least squeak by with a C on tomorrow’s exam.”

Unfortunately, this situation is a reality of many college kids today. Not managing one’s time, not studying effectively, and not taking adequate notes are some of the main dilemmas faced by students of SUNY Oswego.

There are various ways to improve your study skills in order to receive good grades on exams and to ultimately become a more successful student.

First, never wait until the night before a big exam to start studying. What you cram in always falls out. Also, going to bed late the night before an exam is a fundamental error. While sleep is the first thing you may sacrifice in order to study for a longer period of time, nothing helps you think clearly like proper rest. In fact, it is much more beneficial to go to bed early and study in the morning rather than to stay up all night, since being tired will only make it harder for you to retain the material.

Taking notes in class is absolutely crucial if you want to do well in school. This does not mean copying a classmate’s notes before an exam! Typically, students absorb information better when they take notes on their own. They also tend to know when to ask questions and pay attention more consistently in class if they take notes themselves.

The best time to study for an exam is when your mind is fresh and not otherwise distracted. You should make sure that you’re free of anything that might pull your attention away from studying, like a messy room or people engaged in a conversation that interests you. And if you’re wondering how long you should study, here’s a good rule of thumb: Studying the night before an exam should not take you any longer than it will take you to complete the exam itself (45 minute period, 45 minutes to study).

The last—and perhaps most important—study skill is to not stress out. Relax, be confident and you’ll do great!

By following these tips, students of SUNY Oswego will hopefully be able to reduce their stress levels, receive good grades, and improve their study skills to ultimately become successful students.

Lindsey Moses is a junior majoring in English at SUNY Oswego. She is currently a member of Alpha Sigma Eta, Oswego’s chapter of the International English Honor Society, as well as an editor for the Great Lake Review literary magazine. She also works as a tutor in the Writing Center, where she helps fellow students focus, develop, and organize their writing. In her spare time, Lindsey enjoys reading, writing, traveling, listening to music, and attending concerts.
I'm a junior. I like to read, watch T.V. and sleep. Aaaand that's it.