Spring Forward with the Hottest Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Spring has sprung, collegiettes™, and it’s time to leap into the season with your best fashionable foot forward.

With each season comes its own signature accessory, and this spring it’s all about the mini cross-body bag.  The cross-body bag had a gradual climb up the fashion totem pole and is now the must-have accessory.

A bright pop of color will help any collegiette™ rock the look seamlessly.  So go for it girls, pick up that flashy, pink mini cross-body bag you thought you didn’t need.  It will not only become a focal point of your outfit and a conversation piece, but it will add that extra pick-me-up to any adorable outfit too.

It’s no fashion surprise that everything old is new again, and that may very well be said about the next hot fashion trend for spring.  A 1960s style jacket in a wowing, cheeky color is a fun addition to any girl’s wardrobe.  Whether you’re going out to a nice dinner or checking out a play on Broadway, this adorable piece will breathe life into any outfit and create an incredible color scheme.  This A-line classic will create a more sophisticated, yet simple and stylish, look.

One of spring’s most fun fashion trends are prints.  That’s right, you can mix and match your prints of choice by following one simple rule: Stick to similar color groups.  The “anything goes” rule is in fashion this year, but it is important to follow fashion experts’ few rules to pulling this look off.  While floral prints are in this season, every girl should make this look her very own and spice up any outfit with a fun, flirty print that adds an extra hint of color and substance to an everyday outfit.

Hot off a DKNY runway, one of spring’s most wearable, and comfortable, fashion trends is the trench dress or shirt dress.  We’ve all seen it done before; some accessorize with a belt, a cute hobo bag or keep it simple and free-flowing. This spring, a trench dress is a necessity in your closet.  Not only is a trench dress a hot fashion trend, but it also walks hand-in-hand with another popular color scheme spotted all over the runway.

Neutrals and nudes are some of the hottest colors for separate pieces this season, allowing all of you fashionistas to mix and match pieces to create you very own signature style.  Another valuable fashion item to always have handy is lace.  Lace can be incorporated with nearly any outfit and it brings a little texture and break from monotony in the simplest of outfits.

The key to sporting lace this spring is to make sure you go for a more daring look than “doily.”

And speaking of daring, collegiettes™, it is time to break out your inner rock star and let your wild side speak for itself with your clothing.  To contrast dainty florals, the punk look is in: anything with studs, metallics, spikes or hardware that could somehow be considered fashion is what all of you ladies should be looking for when shopping for new clothes.

Instead of wearing simple jeans with a studded belt, try taking studs and spikes elsewhere.  While we may not be able to afford the same Christian Louboutin’s as Beyonce, or any pair for that matter, wearing spikes or studs on heels is a great way to add a little flare to any outfit.  You might also want to try a red blazer adorned with studs or spikes – think Kim Cattrall as Samantha Jones in “Sex and the City 2.”

Spring 2011 has a plethora of different fashion choices for every collegiette™.  Whether you’re looking to keep it simple and classy with a print or a rebellious diva look, this season has something to offer every kind of girl.  And if you’re a little bit simple and pretty and a little bit rock star, don’t be afraid to pair your super cute floral print dress with a sexy studded belt.

Hi, I'm Victoria Tomaselli, a senior English and Journalism double major at SUNY Oswego!
Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.