This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

#ozmystory has been splashed across all campus bulletin boards, on every campus social media outlet and has undoubtedly shown up on your Facebook timeline at least once or twice. Here it is #oz crowd, what is #ozmystory?

#ozmystory is a Career Services campaign to showcase the career-related achievements of our students and alumni. So for students any internships, club involvements, research, volunteer opportunities- anything that relates to what you want for a career. For alumni, what is your current career success?

It’s a simple concept. You write your career related achievement on a piece of paper; you hold up the paper, take a picture and get it to Career Services. The picture goes up on the Career Services Facebook page and from there the possibilities are endless.

Originally, the campaign was designed as a simple way to show the great career opportunities our students are taking advantage of and to display the success of our alumni. After 400-plus participants later, the campaign has grown much bigger.  #ozmystory has grown into an unimaginable networking resource for students, alumni and employers.

Alumni are reaching out to students and employers are using this campaign as a recruiting tool to offer opportunities.

Additional benefits include:

• Creating a virtual resume.  You’re putting your achievements on a picture that goes on the Internet. Can you say virtual resume?
  • Positive social media presence.  We hear it all the time. Whatever you put on the Internet is public knowledge. Instead of always focusing on erasing the negative social media, isn’t it a novel idea to just promote a positive social media image? Putting a picture of your accomplishments online to be displayed through the official college Career Services Facebook page is a positive social media image.
  • Unlimited networking possibilities. Facebook is public. You like something, your friends see you like it. Aunt Susie likes something; Aunt Susie’s friends see what she liked. Ever think that Aunt Susie could have a Facebook friend who is that golden networking connection you’ve been dreaming of? You never know. Through sharing and likes on Facebook, your career related achievement picture has the possibility of ending up in the hands of just the right career person.
  • One #ozmystory photo will be awarded a $50 bookstore gift card at the end of the semester. Who doesn’t like free clothes? Or if you’re a water bottle or keychain junkie, buy a ton! Career Services want as many students as possible to #oz their story by the end of the semester. To up the hype, we will pick one photo at random at the end of the semester and award the student/alum with a $50 Bookstore gift card.

As an active student on this campus, I see first hand how involved so many Oswego students are- presidents of clubs, multiple internships aside from part time jobs, classwork and extra research. Other than a list of accomplishments printed on a resume, this campaign allows students to display, in a visual form, the many hours of hard work throughout their college years. 

Aside from the opportunity for an alumni to reach out or the possibility of an employer viewing your picture, having an #ozmystory picture guarantees you will receive many notifications on Facebook. If you tag yourself in your picture, all your Facebook friends, including mom, dad and the long distant great aunts and uncles like the picture with comments along the lines of “I’m so proud of you _______!” or “That’s my daughter!”

So with all these insane benefits, how do you participate? Simple. Take your picture and get it to us. Tweet it to @hireoz, message us on Facebook SUNY Oswego Career Services, email it to ozmystory@oswego.edu

Pick up a piece of paper, write an achievement, snap a picture and send it to Career Services. It’s networking. And you might win a $50 Bookstore gift card, too. #ozmystory

I'm a junior. I like to read, watch T.V. and sleep. Aaaand that's it.