Only Real Men Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

SUNY Oswego’s local PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) chapter is hosting its first male fashion show, “Only Real Men Walk” at the Marano Campus Center on March 9th.

PRSSA E-board members Jordyn Saul, 21, and Samantha Shou, 21, are hosting the esteemed event. Various campus clubs including, PRSSA, WNYO, WTOP, and The National Broadcasting Society are all involved in “Only Real Men Walk”. Each club will have a group of representatives competing on the runway and contestants will be taking part in a three-category competition. Models will be judged on a question and answers portion, talent portion, and best-dressed category.

“PRSSA is really passionate about this event, it’s a great opportunity for our members to get involved,” said PRSSA Director of Public Relations Jordyn Saul.

“Creating the fashion show was a great opportunity for our members, they gained experience in event planning, stage design, graphic design, and public relations. It was a process that helped prepare our members for the real world,” said PRSSA President Emily Cole, 20.

“Only Real Men Walk” takes place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and costs $2 at the door. PRSSA will also be selling water bottles and candy for audience members. All proceeds from the event will go towards sending PRSSA E-board members to a national PRSSA conference this spring at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York.

The fashion show is going to be judged by three guest judges who are also professors. Saul and Shou will deliberate along with the judges and award the winner with a gemstone crown and a Mr. Oswego certificate.

“This was an entertaining way for our students to incorporate other campus organizations while also increasing relations with other clubs in the communications department. I hope this event continues to take place in the future,” said Cole.

“It’s important for every college kid to get silly every once in a while, show their school spirit, and ‘Only Real Men Walk’ allows students to do just that. It truly will be the affair of the semester,” said Saul.  

“I cannot wait to watch my peers walk, run, or fall down the catwalk.” said SUNY Oswego student Nicole Sammon.

This is one of the largest events in the communications department of the semester. PRSSA was in charge of the entire event and has been committed to putting on the show.

So sit down, relax, and enjoy the show.