Oh No! Kyle, You Didn’t!–American Horror Story: Coven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Every week, I excitedly wait for Wednesday night at 10 to cuddle up with a blanket and sit in front of the TV to watch my favorite show, American Horror Story. Each Wednesday I am able forget about all of the stressors in life for an hour, fully immersing myself in the show and characters.

However, the single hour that American Horror Story is on is probably the shortest hour I have ever experienced in my life.

This season, American Horror Story: Coven, is the third season of the show and premiered on Oct. 9, 2013.

The show is set in New Orleans at a school that opened for young witches to learn how to protect themselves. These witches are the remaining ancestors of witches from the Salem witch trials that occurred almost 300 years ago, and are almost extinct. The coven’s Supreme, Fiona, arrives to ensure the safety of the coven and its secrets. Fiona’s daughter, Cordelia, teaches at the school. The events that happen in the show reveal a long-held rivalry between the witches of Salem and the New Orleans Voodoo practitioners. The season is set in the primarily in the present day but does include flashbacks to the 1830s.

For all of you who don’t watch American Horror Story, it is a show that features violent horror stories of different characters and locations. Each season has a different theme. The theme of this season is oppression; specifically the oppression of groups who are typically “left out” in society.

For those of you who do watch the show are probably just as flabbergasted as I am with the show right now. Maybe, like me, you are obsessed with Zoe and Kyle together, and think they are the cutest thing ever. So then when you watch Zoe walk in on the scene where Kyle and Madison are aggressively hooking up against the wall two episodes ago you were probably just as outraged as I was!

I am so incredibly irritated at this show these past few episodes! First, Madison kills Kyle in a bus accident where she uses her powers to flip the bus over to get back at some boys who had been horrible to her, not caring who else may have been inside. Then, she helps Zoe bring Kyle back to life using witchcraft because Zoe is traumatized that her crush has been killed. After that, Madison is killed by Fiona because Fiona suspects she is the new Supreme, is brought back to life by Zoe, and then causes more trouble by ruining everything between Zoe and Kyle by sleeping with Kyle?

And that’s not all, get this! Now, Madison is proposing to Zoe that they “share” Kyle, as if he is property and she should have any sort of claim to the guy that she killed.

After everything Zoe has done for Madison and look what Madison does to repay her–she sleeps with Kyle!

Yes, I know it takes two to tango so I am equally as irritated with Kyle for sleeping with Madison. But then you get to the end the episode two weeks ago where Zoe is coaxed into engaging in a threesome with Madison and Kyle…

WHAT?!

The show did make a good attempt during last Wednesday’s episode to patch up wounds when Kyle and Zoe exchange quite a few loving sentiments and Kyle is finally able to form words, telling Zoe that he loves her. However, after they exchange “I love you”s, you are left to watch Madison, who is standing outside the window in the rain, seething, because she hears them profess their love for one another and is jealous. Oh my gosh, American Horror Story, get Madison out of there! She is driving me absolutely crazy! What did she expect out of the situation between Zoe and Kyle? Obviously they are in love and she has known this all along!

Ok, sorry, rant over. If you haven’t noticed (which I’m sure you have by reading this article), I am quite the American Horror Story fangirl. I am especially a fangirl of Evan Peters in all three seasons of American Horror Story, and particularly love him in his role of Kyle Spencer in this season.

I can’t wait for this Wednesday to see what will go down between Madison, Zoe, and Kyle after Zoe and Kyle professed their love for each other and Madison overheard! What about you?

Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.