Now Hiring: 10 Tips for Landing a Magazine Gig

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Applying for an internship can seem like an insurmountable task, especially if you’re
interested in magazines while studying at Oswego State. After all, there aren’t many
opportunities floating around here that let you work on the glossy pages you love to
flip through every month. So how do you convince a complete stranger that you’re the
one person they want to hire and trust with all of their responsibilities? Don’t worry,
collegiettes™, Her Campus Oswego has got the scoop. We sat down with Karen Snyder
Duke, editorial assistant at PARENTS magazine, to find out what it takes to land that
magazine gig you’ve been drooling over.

Get involved.
You’ve heard it a thousand times –from your parents, teachers, coaches and friends.
Guess what, they’re all right! Getting involved on campus is one of the most important
things you can do while obtaining your undergraduate degree, Duke says. “The first
thing I look at is how much experience you have with writing and editing. Write for your
college newspaper, magazine, public relations office, anything.” The more experience
you can put on your resume, the better.

Keep writing.
You’re getting involved on campus, but how much is too much? Duke simply needs to
make sure that you’re always writing. “Journalists are writers, so it doesn’t matter what
you’re writing about, as long as you’re writing about something that matters to you,” she
says. If you’re not getting as many clips as you’d like for a campus publication, consider
starting your own blog. Editors like to see your work raw and unedited, and the best way
to get this is through a blog. Don’t be afraid to show off your personality and write about
something you really care about!

Apply!
No internship is out of your reach. It doesn’t matter what school you go to or how much
money you pay for that education. If you don’t apply, the editor won’t know you exist!
Visit the Compass to polish your resume, attend as many networking events as you can
(for magazine students, check out events through Ed2010), write a rockin’ cover letter
and send your clips out! The worst that can happen is someone will say no, which will
make you available for other opportunities.

Know your company.
This is one of the most important parts of landing an internship, Duke says. “You need
to know the voice of the magazine and you should be up-to-date on their most current
issue before you go into the interview,” she advises. “That way, you’re ready to give
out a compliment when the timing is right. If you really want to impress them, mention
something from a few issues back, so they know you’re a devoted reader.” Basically,
make sure you’re familiar with the product they’re creating. If you want to work there,
act like you already should.

Master the phone.
Being able to pull off a good phone interview is extremely important, especially if you
don’t live close enough for a face-to-face meeting. Practice your phone voice ahead
of time, making sure that you speak clearly and you’re leaving out as many “umms”
and “likes” as possible. Have your resume in front of you, as well as a few clips and
a copy of the magazine’s latest issue. That way you’re prepared for any questions an
editor may throw your way, without the stuttering as you’re scrambling to find a suitable
answer.

Ask questions.
We all know preparing for interview questions is important, but make sure you have
questions ready for the interviewer too. Ninety-nine percent of the time they’ll ask if you
have any questions for them, and this is your window of opportunity. Ask what a typical
work day is like, which editors you may be responsible for assisting, or when you could
expect an answer by. Editors want to know you’re not only inquisitive, but passionate
about the position! Don’t walk out the door (or hang up the phone) without asking at least
one question.

Dress for success.
Every collegiette™ likes to play dress up every once in awhile, but dressing for the
interview is a little more important than matching your style to Lady Gaga this week.
Companies are looking for someone who can represent their company well and in a
professional manner. Always show up for the interview in more formal attire – slacks and
some kind of nice dressy top. Once you’ve landed the gig, pay attention to the attire that
everyone else is wearing. If your editors are spotted donning formal business attire, make
sure that’s what you’re wearing too. But if you’re working at a sporty magazine, don’t be
afraid to mix sneakers into your wardrobe once in awhile. Oh, and never wear flip-flops.
Ever. Do you really want your editor-in-chief to know you as the girl whose feet slap
whenever she walks by?

Put your nose to the grindstone.
Rejection is a part of life in every job industry you’re going to face, especially during
today’s economic hardships. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty and just keep trying.
Duke says when she was trying to break into the magazine industry she had to take
on a huge workload. Be willing to say yes to every project and then succeed in your
assignments – your editors will notice.

Take a risk.
The thought of moving to New York City to work at a magazine is a daunting one, but it
can definitely be a thrilling and life-changing experience. In order to land her current gig,
Duke spent many months sleeping on an air-mattress in a friend’s apartment so that she
could make it to her internships every day. When she was applying for jobs, she drove
eight hours from West Virginia to New York City to get to interviews on time. You have
to be willing to do whatever it takes to make it, so don’t be afraid to take on a risk every
now and then.

Don’t be high-maintenance.
Everyone has to get coffee for people at some point, and you’re probably going to have
to do that at least once as an intern. Deal with it. In fact, do it with a smile! Your editor
will notice if you remember little details, like her favorite coffee order or her birthday,
and begin to trust you with bigger responsibilities. They’ll also be much more likely to
recommend you for other internships (or a job!) if you don’t whine about the menial
tasks. If you’re assigned to get coffee, Duke says, make sure you’re the one who is the
best at getting coffee.

So there you have it, collegiettes™! Make sure you’re applying to all of your dream
magazine internships and use these tips to show everyone that you’re the girl they want
for the job!

Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.