My Four Biggest Pet Peeves About SUNY Oswego

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I send out my apologies to any cheerful person who may potentially be brought down by my pessimistic recount of the current reasons I am frustrated with this school; however, I am simply so irritated with these four aspects of being a student at Oswego, that I can’t hold it in:

The weather

Ok, yes sure, I’m 100 percent positive I’m going to hear an “I told you so” on this one but I am so tired of the weather here. If you want to try to do something cute with your hair, you can just forget it looking cute for long with the whipping winds on this campus. Oh, you don’t want to get soaked walking to class? Well, don’t bother bringing an umbrella if it’s raining because the wind will just render it useless. Aww, you’re cold? OK, go throw on tons of layers of clothes to keep you warm while walking to class, but don’t complain once you’re drenched in sweat while sitting in class because of all the clothes you had to pile on.

The dining hall

I am currently a resident on campus paying for an UNLIMITED meal plan. However, that is quite a moot point considering that I cannot take anything that won’t fit in their tiny cups outside of the dining hall, not even a sandwich that I want to take quickly on the go; I can’t fill my small blender bottle up with milk to have a protein shake so I have to make a special trip to go buy milk at Walmart; can’t go back to the dining hall if I decide I’m still hungry after getting a bagged lunch; have no ability on the weekends to get food after 7 p.m. unless I want to walk from West Campus all the way to Lakeside in the freezing cold, due to cut late night hours at Littlepage Dining Hall. 

The Centro

The bus comes so infrequently that it is a two hour process just to run to Walmart to get shampoo and conditioner. Not to mention the fact that it hardly runs on the weekend (the only time you actually have free to go anywhere), so you have to walk everywhere or pay to take a taxi. Oh? You don’t want to walk to class but don’t have time to take the bus? Too bad. Well, I suppose you probably didn’t want to hang out the bus doors as you ride to class because the bus is so full you can barely fit… but once again, too bad. God, I need a car.

Fire Drills

What, you mean you didn’t want to wake up at 3 a.m. to have to trudge outside in the freezing cold to the sound of a creepy fire alarm system? The constant fire alarms here, especially in my building, Seneca Hall, are so ridiculous. The amount of times that I have to stop what I’m doing to go stand outside in the cold because some girl burnt her hair while straightening it or some group of people decided to bake out their dorm room is ridiculous.

Alright, so maybe I’m being a little dramatic here, but come on, really? Am I the only one annoyed at these things? These aspects of life at SUNY Oswego really do drive me out of my mind. Unfortunately, as student who can’t afford to live off campus or have a car, I guess I don’t really have a choice in dealing with these pet peeves of mine. I suppose I’ll just have to suck it up and take it for the next year and a half. Wonderful.

Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.
I'm a junior. I like to read, watch T.V. and sleep. Aaaand that's it.