The Most Empowering Tracks from Selena Gomez’s ‘Revival’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Most people you talk to know who Selena Gomez is. Whether she’s “America’s Sweetheart,” or a “Disney Darling,” most people know of her to some extent. From starring on Barney and Friends at age ten, to gaining popularity on Disney Channel’s Wizards of Waverly Place, and before breaking into the music scene, Selena has been around for what seems like forever. With her highly publicized relationship with Justin Bieber, it feels like the entire world seems to know the ins and outs of her personal life as well. However, with the release of her second studio album in late 2015, Revival, Selena gives the world an even closer look into her life in the past few years, proving that you don’t know her as well as you may think you do.

Revival is a twist on the typical pop album, with Selena incorporating elements of electropop, R&B, and dance pop into some of her tracks. There are uptempo songs like “Hands to Myself” and then beautifully raw ballads like “Camouflage”. Revival seems to be just that – the revival of the person Selena was, and is continuing to be, after spending so much time in the spotlight. Many of her tracks are perfect for dancing around the room after a long day to relieve a little stress or to blast in the car on a roadtrip with your best friends. Most importantly, though, many of her songs are inspiring and instantly make you feel like you can take on the world with one listen.

I lined up a few of the most empowering songs on her album that will help those getting through rough times, when all you really need to do is dance it out.

1. Revival

The album’s title track is exactly what you’d expect; a song that seems to be the revival of Selena Gomez. While the track is classified as “pop”, the guitar elements in the background give it a new edge. It’s a song you can put on while you’re getting ready to go out. It makes you feel fierce and powerful, especially with lines like “I’ve been under self-restoration/I’m becoming my own salvation.” Other lines such as “What I’ve learned is so vital/More than just survival/This is my revival,” make you feel even more bad-a**, especially if you’re going through a rough patch. Whenever I’m feeling down, I put on this track to remind myself that a revival can be at any time and can happen as often as I’d like. Turn up the volume, forget about the drama in your life, and just listen for a bit. Be your own salvation.

2. Kill ‘Em With Kindness

When I first heard this track, I instantly thought of my mom’s old mantra: “Just kill ‘em with kindness.” I used to roll my eyes every time she said this; easier said than done! I was never a person who could use happiness as the best means of revenge, because it didn’t seem like revenge at all. But after listening to this song, I finally understood the meaning of the phrase. In the past few years, Selena has received so much backlash online about her body and her relationships. Instead of fighting fire with fire, she releases this song to all the “haters,” vowing to “kill ‘em with kindness.” Lines like, “No war in anger/Was ever won,” truly resonated with me. I finally understood that any conflict you have in life will never be solved with the same backlash you’re receiving. The sweetest revenge is to be kind and act like it doesn’t bother you at all. Nothing drives someone crazier than seeing you doing just fine without them. The song has a great beat that makes you want to get up and dance, or go out and kill it at the gym. Play this when you’re feeling frustrated or need a good boost of confidence. Next time you’re at odds with someone, remember: just kill ‘em with kindness. You’ll win in the end because you’ll be living for you instead of dwelling on the negativity of others.

3. Rise

This track is Selena’s ultimate “rise above” moment in the entire album. It seems like this song is the response to the difficult times she has cited in the media, such as her Lupus diagnosis and her relationship with Justin. Lines such as, “You can hold onto the sadness like a souvenir/Or you can close your eyes and see your life/Like the air,” are so empowering. You can either hold on to what is dragging you down, or you can rise above and make the best of the situation you’re in. Sometimes it’s difficult to get out of our own way and let go of all the bad energy and thinking about the “what ifs”. The upbeat tempo and even gospel-like element of the song, particularly in the chorus, really inspires you to get up like the rest of the tracks do and just dance it out. This track is perfect for those moments when you’re stuck between staying where you are or trying to motivate yourself to move forward. Don’t lose faith; you can rise above those who are trying to bring you down and make your life whatever you want it to be.

With Revival, Selena Gomez seems to be rising from the ashes and truly reviving who she is as an artist and a person. And even today, nearly two years after the album was released, she’s doing better than before. She has produced the new hit Netflix series 13 Reasons Why; she took care of her mental health and checked into rehab for ninety days; and now she seems to be in a steady relationship with singer, The Weeknd. It’s amazing to see how far she’s come since Revival. And it’s refreshing to listen to a strong woman singing songs that inspire and empower young people, particularly girls. Selena’s had heartbreak, success, failure, and criticism, but she still managed to rise above and create a happy, healthy life for herself. The tracks on Revival are inspiring and completely road trip or dance party worthy. Next time you’re feeling down, going through a bad breakup, or just had a horrible day, put this album on and just dance around your room. You’re bound to feel better instantly.

Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.