Mid-semester Pick Me Ups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Yes, we’ve all been there…that grade that won’t go away, that overwhelming job, overwhelming pals, or just that no motivation feeling that’s keeping you from being yourself.

Midterms are over and if you’ve been like me, lately you just need a little more motivation to get yourself moving along again.

If you really think about it, there is still more than enough time to raise your grades. From now until the end of the semester you have time to raise that D to a C or that C to an A. Also, if you are worried about your midterm grade don’t be afraid to ask your professor for tips on how you can improve. For all you know, your professor could have your grade switched with somebody else’s. Nothing is worse than doing badly in a class and not doing anything to about it!

The time is now to get over that mid-semester funk and better your grades or boost your energy with new goals for the end of your semester.

First and foremost- Look good, feel good! If you’re not feeling motivated, then try to boost your motivation by changing your look. Strive to wake up a little bit early before class and look your best for that presentation. Wear brighter colors or go for that dressy look instead of just the usual yoga pants and sweat shirt. I know that when things change for me I tend to change my look to motivate myself.

If you’re going through that first semester away at college or better yet away from your boyfriend, explore these ideas to bring you closer with them. If you’re not already using it, get a Skype account. Seeing the person you’ve been missing at a certain time creates that excited feeling that keeps you going throughout the day.

Breakups during the semester are tough to deal with on top of school and other activities. Sometimes you just have to learn to deal with the bad times. Something positive is sure to come to those who push the bad aside and focus on bettering themselves. If you’re trying to get over someone, take it as a chance to discover yourself and find out what YOU really want and enjoy doing in life.

The semester is nearing its end and before you know it…. Thanksgiving will be here!

EDUCATIONBachelors of Arts in Journalism                                                                              Expected: May 2014State University of New York (SUNY) College at OswegoMajor: JournalismMinor: Creative Writing RELATED EXPERIENCE   Whiteraverrafting.com-Contributing Writer                                                       March 2013-PresentReviews on shows/festivals/tracks/albums in individual postsFeature posts about the world of electronic musicAssist in ideas on how to deliver more content and receive higher website viewsDevelop questions and strategies for unique and influential interviews with various artists HerCampus/Oswego.com: Editor of the Oswego Branch                                     January 2011 –Present    Editing- AP styleMaintain positions throughout involvement with Her Campus as: Social media representative, editor, and finally one of the head editors of the branchMaintain various article sections of the magazine websiteWrite articles related to news, student profiles, and various other articles like blogs which relate to campus lifeSocial media balancing skillsPeer Leader for the Educational Opportunity Program, Oswego NY                August, Summer 2012Mentor for freshmanTutor writing classesEdit essays, and short stories for studentsIntroduce and involve students in clubs on campusInitiate team work with planned events and assignments for students Copy Writing Internship: I Heart Oswego                                                                        January 2013-Presenthttp://iheartoswego.com/Edit 3-4 stories daily, using AP styleReport and interview subjects for storiesUpdate Facebook/Twitter for I Heart OswegoCome up with feature stories TVF-Business Development Member                                                                                 January 2013                                                                        Promote products at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES 2013)Discuss business strategies and team workDevelop press releases  WORK EXPERIENCECustomer Service, Wegman’s Food Markets, Binghamton, NY                                        August 2009-PresentInitiate customer service at cashier positionAdapt to changing situations at the storeImprove teamwork experience with working for outside services COMMUNITY INVOLVMENTCheerleading Club, SUNY Oswego                                                                                   September 2010-PresentSocial chair position: Come up with team bonding activities throughout the year and maintain team’s image                           
Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.