Losing Weight: Attack of the Easter Sugar High

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Welcome back, collegiettes! Easter is over but if you’re like me, there’s a large basket full of candy that accompanied you on the way back to school. It’s inevitable, right? If you even have the slightest doubt that you are going to cave and give in to an overdose of that delicious sugar and chocolate, keep in mind that there are a few things that you can do:

Give some of it away. Earn the roommate of the week award by sharing some of the chocolate-y goodness with your roomie, or hand it out to your friends. They will simply see it as a nice gesture (and free food!), while you get rid of the overwhelming amount of temptation haunting you on every surface of your room.

Enjoy a small treat. Don’t think you have to give all of the goodies away! It’s okay to keep a good amount of candy around if you just limit your daily intake. If it is small chocolates like Hershey kisses, then only have a few each night instead of gorging on nine or ten. That way you get a nice treat every day, satisfy your cravings and forget about slipups.

Proceed with caution.
If you have bigger candies, like Reese’s eggs, limit yourself to just one. Did you know that one Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg has 180 calories, 11 grams of fat and 21 grams of sugar?! Having more than one is the same as having lunch, but the sugar will make you crash later and leave you feeling worse rather than satisfied. Instead, nibble on one and if you’re still hungry after, nosh on healthy nuts, fruits or veggies. Try drinking water, too. Research shows that those who drink water before, during and after they eat consume fewer calories throughout the day.

But don’t let an obsession with food ruin the spirit of Easter! Come off that sugar high and keep up with those workouts!

Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.