This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As we wade knee-deep in midterm projects, papers, and tests, it’s important for all of us to remind ourselves of what all this hard work leads us towards: a happy life after college. No one better exemplifies such determination to achieve that happiness than Lindsey Adrian: an alumna of SUNY Oswego, this week’s campus celebrity and a personal friend of mine. In our interview, she discusses the joy that comes with her job, the activities she misses from her life in Oswego, and her best advice to students who want to get the most out of their college experience.

Lindsey graduated from SUNY Oswego in 2014 with a degree in human development and a minor in gerontology. After graduation, she took on a job as the head daycare teacher at Kindercare and settled down in an apartment with her fiance. She describes her new position as “pretty creative.”

“You get a lot of freedom with what you can teach,” she said.

Lindsey went on to say that it is the children that make her job so enjoyable. She loves seeing them develop socially and intellectually, and especially loves being a part of that process. To her, “it’s inspiring.”

She exclaims that, as an added bonus, “They are hilarious!”

Though she loves her job now, she mentions the potential for an up-and-coming opportunity for her in the state education department or mental health department, due to her exceptional score on a state test. And, while on the topic of future events, Lindsey happily added that she was excited for her upcoming marriage to her rather eccentric fiance, who is none other than another Oswego campus celebrity, Andrew Minnick.

“I like real life!” she said, in a discussion about her life now that she had found the job, found the apartment and found the man.

Lindsey enjoys being out on her own to do what she wishes. In particular, she likes not having to answer to any teachers and embraced the ability to make her own decisions. She did, however, express her wishes some days for the lack of responsibility that comes with college life and the vibrant social life in Oswego. According to Lindsey, going out at night without worrying about the next day’s responsibilities is one of the many things she liked about college. She also regrets losing contact with her friends. Despite having only graduated a mere seven months ago, she says that she has already lost touch with many of them.

As for academics, Lindsey says she misses her professors here on campus.

“I had some great advisors in the human development department,” she reminisced.

In particular, Lindsey recalls working alongside Dr. Laura Brown and talking at length with Dr. Dorothy Shedlock. Both professors were incredibly supportive of her whether it were in her school work or in her own personal life.

“They helped me develop as both a person and a student,” Lindsey continued.

In fact, Lindsey was a teacher’s assistant for Dr. Shedlock’s research methods class for one of her three full-time internships. The other two internships she completed included working with the Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) and the Bishop Common’s Enriched Living Residence. She also participated in the school’s Adopt-A-Grandparent program. She advises current students to get active and take on internships.

“Do internships now when you have the time to figure out what you like and what experience you need for those areas.”

Her only regret leaving college was not changing her major sooner, as she wishes that she could have had more time to gain real-world experience in her field of interest. She has high praise for the internships that she did work in, however.

“Every single one taught me something,” she said.

Despite her regret, Lindsey appears to have achieved what we all strive for in this life: that happily ever after.

I am currently I senior here at our fair SUNY Oswego! While I enjoy writing for Her Campus, I also participate as the managerial editor for the Great Lake Review, as a student manager(called a group leader) at the Mackin Dining Complex, and as a community service member for the Women's Honor Society, VEGA. My future is a bit of a mystery even to me, but I believe that I'll either pursue the life of a librarian or the life of a baker!