On-the-Go Essentials You Should Never Be Without

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

We’ve all had the day where we jumped out of bed, late for class, and skipped our morning beauty routine. We’ve all had the day we’re dying for that cup of coffee only to realize we left all of our cash back in the room. We have all been there when we’ve needed something as simple as a lip moisturizer, but forgot it in our morning rush. So how to combat this? A small bag of essential goodies, of course! It’s the perfect solution and completely customizable to fit your unique needs. Here are a few suggestions to get your bag started:

1. Lip Balm

Lip balm is a must in Oswego. With the constant wind and temperatures dropping you have to show your lips the love they deserve, just as you would the rest of your skin. They do a lot of work for you! Keep them hydrated and smooth by stocking up on moisturizing lip balms that will last you through the winter. Look for something with a SPF of 15 or higher to protect your pout from the damaging rays of the sun. You want to pamper your lips so get something that specifically says it moisturizes and protects. After all, you never know when an impromptu lip lock may take place!

(PRO TIP: If you want to be really good to your lips, exfoliate them once a week with some honey and sugar. Just put a little bit of honey into a small cup and add some sugar until you get a nice thick mixture. Rub it gently over your lips in small circular motions. Leave on for approximately two minutes before washing it off with warm water. Your lips will be extra soft and luscious after this. Don’t forget to add some lip balm after your done!)

2. Eyeliner

This is something that can make you look sultry or wide awake depending on the color. For a wide awake and fresh look, pick a color that opens up your eyes such as a white or peach shade. Just simply apply the eyeliner pencil to your waterline. If you want something more dramatic try a black or navy kohl liner, and smudge it along your upper lids. Be sure to soften it out to avoid making your lines look too harsh with a pencil. For those of you who are looking for something more natural, try a soft brown or beige color to enhance your natural features. 

3.   BB or CC Cream

If there was ever a miracle in a tube it would be with BB or CC Cream. These are a universal good choice to have in your bag for all over coverage or touch ups throughout the day. Depending on the brand, these creams go on sheer to moderately full coverage and do so much for your skin. They contain SPF, moisturizer, light foundation, and some even contain antioxidants! This will help to smooth out your skin and give you a beautifully even complexion quickly and easily. Though they won’t give you as much coverage as a regular foundation, this is a wonderful alternative for everyday face makeup or on the go use!

(PRO TIP: Don’t rub any product into your skin and instead pat it in! Take the product into your palms and rub them together. The heat from your hands will activate the ingredients in the cream and makes it more effective. Next pat the product around your face gently. Rubbing tends to pull the skin and could cause wrinkles. Also try to exfoliate a few times a week, to once a month depending on your skin type. It will remove the dead skin and gunk hiding in your pores, leaving you with radiant, glowing skin.)

4.   Pocket mirror

An essential in any girls backpack or purse. All of the above would not be possible without a simple pocket mirror. Get something fun that you love and wouldn’t mind showing off, make it part of your personality!

5.   Lip Color

This goes hand in hand with the lip balm suggestion from earlier. Pack a pretty lip stain or lipstick of your favorite shade in your bag so you always have a fashion forward smile. Fall and winter colors tend to be on the darker side; mauves, purples, reds, and burgundies are all very trendy right now. If you’re looking for something softer go with a shade that is similar to your natural lip color with tint of pink or red in it. Don’t forget to flash a flirty smile at the cutie in the library with your newly polished lips!(PRO TIP: Cooler tones will automatically make your teeth look whiter! Look for colors with blue undertones and your pearly whites will sparkle!)

6.   Sunglasses and a scarf

This tip is specifically unique to Oswego. The weather patterns here change quickly, sometimes even within the course of one class! Be prepared for anything Mother Nature may throw at you by packing a pair of cute sunglasses and a basic scarf in your bag. This way you are ready for the sun or the chilly weather that is bound to show up soon! Make your accessories as unique as you are, and don’t be afraid to be bold! Go for a red scarf or some neon sunglasses, everyone is born to stand out, so don’t blend in with the crowd and own it!

7.   Bobby-pins and Hair Ties

Even if you’re having a good hair day there’s always a slight chance that you may want to throw it up into a messy bun or ponytail. Of course your hopes are crushed when you realize you didn’t bring a hair tie with you. If you’re lucky your friends might have a hair tie they are willing to donate to you but just in case they don’t, be sure to add one into your essentials bag. Bobby pins are greta to add as well because they are perfect for fixing flyways, pinning back bangs, or simply chaining up your look in the middle of the day!

8.   Money

Pack a few dollars with you because you never know when it might come in handy. No more than $5-$10, because you won’t need it everyday, but when you do, you’ll be prepared. This is a great idea if you are planning on doing some late night studying at the library and need a snack at some point. Maybe you’re too tired and need a quick coffee pick-me-up. Whatever the case, keeping some cash on you is just a wise thing to do. 

9.   Safety Pins

Nothing is worse than going through the day and all of a sudden having a button pop or your blouse pull. Pack a few safety pins to combat unforeseen fashion problems on the go, and trust me you really never know when they might come in handy!

10.  Tampons 

No one wants to think about it, but everyone needs it at some point, and if you don’t, you might just become the savior of one of your friends. 

Good luck and hope this helps you combat your on-the-go needs here at SUNY Oswego! 

Graphic Design Junior at SUNY Oswego :) This is my second year writing for Her Campus and I'm super excited to get started!