This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Any fashionista knows that fashion is always repeating itself. Crop tops are a major trend right now in the fashion world, but they first became popular back in the 90s. Pop stars like Aaliyah, Britney Spears, and Beyonce all wore crop tops showing off their wonderful physiques. During my high school days, crop tops came back with a bang and now seem like they are here to stay. The best thing about crop tops? They can be in worn all year around! They’re made out of sweater or jersey material, can be dressed up or down and overall, they can really make a girls outfit.

For years now, women have seen the beauty of crop tops but now it seems like guys are trying to get in on it, too! Recently, I’ve spotted a couple of guys rocking crop tops. Now I don’t know about you, but this is a big game changer. Us girls have always loved stealng our boyfriend’s warm hoodies or wearing their t-shirts to bed, but now it seems that the tables have turned. Imagine this: one day you and your boo meet up to go out to eat and you’re wearing this really cute crop top. It’s made out of a nice, comfy material, like a t-shirt and it has a cool graphic on it. He continues to compliment your shirt and how great it goes with your outfit. Then the next time you see him he says, “Hey babe, remember that dope shirt you wore the other night, is it cool if I borrow that?” If my boyfriend asked me this, I honestly would not know how to feel about it. And, I don’t know which one is more important to worry about at the moment: whether he really likes my shirt and how cute it looks with my outfit, or the fact that he wants to wear my crop top.

Personally, one of the good things women could get out of guys wearing crop tops is seeing their amazing, rock hard abs. While this is definitely a pro, other than that, I don’t know really know if i’m open for this new trend. However, fashion is about expressing yourself and being true to who you are. If guys want to choose to be cute with a crop top on, then they should go for it! Life is all about trying new things and gaining experience from it. It’s their style and their decision. But just a PSA for all the guys out there risky enough to follow this trend, you’ve started a war on who can wear it better: the crop top war.

Crop tops have been our thing for years and we refuse to let men take it and wear them better than us! Ladies, if you see a guy rocking a crop top, tell him he looks good, but remind him that we look better because we did it first! Afterall, what’s a little friendly competition going to hurt?

Hey! My name is Asha! I attend Oswego State University in New York (woop woop). My major is Broadcast Journalism and I aspire to become a successful news anchor some day. My interests consist of horoscopes, home decor, and just talking and meeting new people. I hope you all enjoy my articles :) thanks guyss!!!
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.