The Constant Battle of Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Do you feel like social media has completely taken over your life? I know I do. No matter where I am or what I am doing, I find myself always waiting for the perfect Instagram moment or the best 10 seconds possible for my Snapchat story. Before I knew it, I was in over my head and had to find ways to loosen the tight grip on my phone. I had to take a step away from the social media world, even for only an hour or two.

I decided that for one week, I would set 10 guidelines for myself to follow in order to back off from social media for a bit. At the end of that week I would see the results and my feelings on how distancing myself from social media went.

The rules I set for myself were as followed:

1. When going out at night, your Snapchat story does not need to be 100+ seconds of you and your friends singing. 10 seconds is plenty.

2. When eating with anyone, whether it be in a dining hall or a restaurant, put your phone away. At the very least, put it down. Face to face conversations are important.

3. If you need to worry about the amount of likes an Instagram picture is going to get, it is not worth posting.

4. When someone is talking to you, whether you want to listen or not, put your phone down and at least try to listen. Sometimes all a person needs is someone that will listen to them so be that person.

5. DO NOT use your phone at the movies even if the movie is horrible.

6. Leave your phone in the car when visiting family. See what new things you learn.

7. Instead of scrolling through Instagram, Twitter and Facebook a million times before going to bed at night, read a chapter of a book.

8. Instead of opening your Twitter and ranting about the latest drama, pick up your phone and call your best friend, or even better, your mom. They love hearing about your life, especially when you are at college and they are at home.

9. Nothing is as important as your education at this point in your life. Put your phone away during classes.

10. It is so important to make memories but don’t get lost documenting them through pictures. Of course, take pictures of moments, but don’t forget that the moment passes. Put your phone down and really enjoy what is right in front of you.

The results I had were astounding. I felt so much more connected to my friends and family. To be honest, I really did not miss the added stress of “worrying” about my social media accounts. I did not realize how many times a day I would check to see how many likes my Instagram picture was getting or to see if certain people saw my Snapchat story. I still use all of my social media accounts actively, however, I am now more aware of when I should and should not use them. I have a newly found admiration for the world outside of my small phone screen. This doesn’t mean that you should completely delete social media out of your life, I don’t even think that is realistic in today’s world, but at the very least, set some guidelines for yourself like I did. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what you learn about yourself.

Hello, I'm Kaitlin. I am a Marketing major with a double major in Public Relations at SUNY Oswego. I have an incredibly strong love for the fashion industry, and hope to obtain a career involving that passion once I graduate in 2018. I have been a member of Her Campus for two years now and am extremely excited to be a Chapter Advisor! I'm a self proclaimed Christmas enthusiast, an avid lover of rainy days, and fun fact: I co-own an international pop-culture blog! 
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!