Celebrate Latin Heritage All Month Long

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Latin culture is rapidly gaining notice and what better time to begin learning about the food, the history, and the culture than National Hispanic Heritage Month?

According to the Pew Research Center, over 54.1 million people in the United States today identify as Hispanic or Latino. National Hispanic Heritage Month, alternatively known as Latin Heritage Month, runs from September 15th to October 15th. The month was originally a week when it was proposed in 1968, but it became a month long affair in 1988. September 15th was specifically chosen to be the start date since five Latin American countries—Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicargua—declared their indpendence on that day.

Even if you are not Latino, you can still participate in the month and learn from others who are eager to show off how proud they are of their history and heritage. Here are some culture savvy activites for you to accomplish this National Hispanic Heritage Month:

1. Watch Latin American produced films or films set in Latin America—Latin American cinema has been active just as long as Hollywood. Latin American cinema comes in many different genres. Mexico produced their first silent film with a plot, Don Juan Tenorio, in 1898, but don’t just limit yourself to silent movies.  If you are interested in hard hitting dramas, City of God (Brazil, 2002) tells of Rocket’s struggle to stay out of the drugs and crime within his poor neighborhood by taking up photography. If you prefer comedies, you’ll enjoy watching playboy Valentin reform his life after his long-lost daughter is dropped off at his door step in Instructions Not Included (Mexico, 2013). For the soft hearted romantic, Cuba’s Chico & Rita (Spain, 2010) is sure to charm you with its animated love story about a gifted piano player and beautiful singer living in 1940s Havana. Also check out Hecho en Mexico (Mexico, 2012), a documentary focusing on Mexico’s most iconic artists and rulers. You don’t have to search too hard for these films because they are all featured on Netflix!

2. Read books and poetry by Latino authors!— Okay, you may not have very much time in between your schoolwork, but if you’re tired of reading your physics textbook and want to take a break, pick up a fun read by a Latino author. If Pablo Neruda’s poetry is too intimidating for you, read CrashBoomLove by Juan Felipe Herrera. This coming of age novel in verse brings readers into the life of Cesar who is juggling multiple identities as a migrant worker, troubled student, and teenage boy.  If you like Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s magical realism, Isabel Allende’s City of Beasts is set in the Amazon rainforest where fifteen-year-old Alex and his grandmother are on a quest to find a mythical beast. There are many Latino writers today such as Sandra Cisneros, Junot Diaz, Julia Alvarez, and Mario Vargas Llosa. Check out what’s available at your local library today!

3. Listen to Latin artists—It’s easy to think that Latin music is just fast paced salsa or a bunch of guys in charro outfits playing mariachi music. Just put on a Latin station on Pandora and discover old school crooners like Jose Jose, dance to the powerful vocals of Celia Cruz or jam out to Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull’s latest singles. Latin American music is diverse and each country has their own music scene. Maybe you’ll like Mexico’s norteño or Argentina’s tango music or maybe Andean folk music from Chile. There’s only one way to find out which one you’ll enjoy the most—listen to them all!

4. Eat Latin food—And no, Taco Bell doesn’t count and it’s more than just chips and salsa. Find any Latin themed or owned restaurants in your area. Mexico is renowned for its tamales, Puerto Rican asopao is world famous, and you haven’t truly lived until you’ve tasted Cuba’s ropa vieja, shredded flank steak in a tomato sauce base.

5. Attend any events happening in your area—Depending on where you live, there might be events celebrating Latin heritage near you. It would be a great opportunity to discover Latin resturants and businesses that have been existing under your nose this whole time and finally go and support them! Also check to see if  your school has a Latino Student Union and attend meetings or ask about any upcoming major events.

National Hispanic Heritage Month ends October 15th so go try some Latin activites. There are a variety of free and fun-filled opportunities to engage in and learn about Latino culture!