Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Oswego Blog

Study Skills for the Successful Student

By Lindsey Moses
October 8, 2013 - 5:35pm

Suddenly, the clock strikes midnight and you realize, with horror, that you still have 15 more pages of notes to read before your dreaded exam the next morning. “Why, oh, why did I wait until the last minute to begin studying?” you ask yourself furiously. “If only I had planned my time more wisely and had made a study schedule, then maybe I could at least squeak by with a C on tomorrow’s exam.”   Unfortunately, this situation is a reality of many college kids today. Not managing one’s time, not studying effectively, and not taking adequate notes are some of the main dilemmas faced by students of SUNY Oswego.   There are various ways to improve your study skills in order to receive good grades on exams and to ultimately become a more successful student....

Our Amazing Survival Kit!

By Kathryne Davis
October 4, 2013 - 4:22pm

This week, Her Campus sent out a survival kit! We received ours and were surprised with how packed the kit was. Don’t worry ladies; you’ll get some of the goodies at our next meeting. The Back-to-School Survival Kit includes tons of fun things to get through the rest of the semester. Neuro: READ MORE

B-b-books? B-b-boring!

By Kari Hively
September 28, 2013 - 9:44pm

If you’re anything like me, I’m sure you’re already beginning to fall into the slump of procrastinating on academics this semester. Schoolwork is already becoming tedious—reading materials are no longer fresh and exciting, assignments seem redundant, and exams just equal stress. It may seem that just weeks ago your ears were tuned in to your professor as you absorbed every word they said, all the while determined in the back of your mind to do really well in school this semester.   READ MORE

Standing in Silence

By Lindsey Moses
September 19, 2013 - 3:17pm

Last week, something noteworthy occurred on campus and immediately struck me with inspiration. I was riding the elevator with a random girl whom I had never spoken to or even seen before. As we ascended, she suddenly turned toward me and said, “Elevators are so awkward. Nobody talks to anyone! We need to have music in here.” I was dumbfounded. It was like this girl had totally read my mind. READ MORE

A Guide to Surviving Your Freshman Year

By Lindsey Moses
September 13, 2013 - 1:53pm

Making the transition from high school to college can be extremely difficult for some students. I know this because I was once a freshman myself. I remember the first few weeks of school as somewhat stressful and overwhelming, yet enjoyable and memorable nonetheless. I had always heard others talk about how wonderful the “college experience” is and how it will be the “best four years of your life,” but I must admit that I was somewhat skeptical of the whole idea. Going into a new school in a new place, I honestly had no idea what to expect. READ MORE

Transitioning

By Caitlin Owens
September 4, 2013 - 10:50pm

As students go back to school, there are those are just beginning their first years on a college campus. I am one of those people. I am a junior; however I am also a transfer. I went to Cayuga Community College for two years, received my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts, and now I am here at Oswego for Communication and Social Interaction.   READ MORE

Thoughts Before Graduation

By Chelsea Mahoney
May 17, 2013 - 7:56pm

WARNING: SAPPY SENTIMENTAL-NESS FILLS THIS POST.   I can’t believe I’m graduating. Every morning I wake up, and it’s like another week has flown by and we are so many days closer to graduation day. Soon the balloons will go up in front of houses, and cars will have silly writing on rear windows, and friends will get together and get kind of drunk with their families in tow, all while crying and laughing and feeling the feels.   READ MORE

Newest Coffee in Town

By Liz Arnone
May 11, 2013 - 12:58am

Craving some caffeine to keep you going during finals week? Stop by one of Oswego’s newest coffee shops, The Nook.  The Nook is a cozy coffee shop loaded with tables, chairs and couches that gives off an extremely inviting atmosphere.  Whats most interesting is all the food is organic and the coffee is all fair trade. When asked about their reason the owners stated that if they have the means to sell delicious coffee without oppressing the coffee laborers they would. Fair trade are products that come from workers who are paid fair prices for their labor. Unlike free trade, fair trade workers aren't treated like modern-day slaves. READ MORE

My Favorite Oswego Memory

By Chelsea Mahoney
May 3, 2013 - 6:16pm

Since I will soon be a graduate of SUNY Oswego, I figured I would share with you my favorite memory. (Please, feel free to stop reading if you’re not in the mood for my sappy recollection.)   It was my freshman year. It was the first really sunny day after a grey winter- it was cold, there was still snow on the ground but it was beautiful out. As beautiful as a chilly day in Oswego can be. My friends and I decided to go for a drive- I had made a mixed CD for my ex-boyfriend’s cousin, and it was sitting in my computer. Right before we left, I ran to my room to grab it. I was proud of it- it was a killer mix named “Phoebe Caufield.”   READ MORE

Six Things You Need To Get Out of Your System Before You Graduate College

By Chelsea Mahoney
April 26, 2013 - 10:03pm

With graduation on the horizon, and our terrifying futures hanging in the distance, there are a few things we need to do now, rather than later.   6.) Dating Sh*tty People I believe that everyone should date someone who treats them like crap, once. It’s a learning experience. However, you’re not allowed to do this after you graduate college. So talk to, sleep with, go on dates with all of those guys/gals that are just awful humans that you really like for some inexplicable reason. But don’t let it carry over into your mid-20s. Please, for the love of god.   5.) Getting Black Out Make-Out With Your Best Friend Drunk READ MORE