Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Oswego Blog

Oh No! Kyle, You Didn’t!--American Horror Story: Coven

By Kari Hively
December 7, 2013 - 11:52pm

Every week, I excitedly wait for Wednesday night at 10 to cuddle up with a blanket and sit in front of the TV to watch my favorite show, American Horror Story. Each Wednesday I am able forget about all of the stressors in life for an hour, fully immersing myself in the show and characters.   However, the single hour that American Horror Story is on is probably the shortest hour I have ever experienced in my life.   This season, American Horror Story: Coven, is the third season of the show and premiered on Oct. 9, 2013.   READ MORE

Snow: Love It or Hate It?

By Kathryne Davis
November 27, 2013 - 7:03pm

I'm a firm believer in the holidays needing snow. It just isn't the same without it. The snow seems almost magical and the snow falling is like no other scene. Skiing and snowmobiling are two fun activities to do in the snow and who could forget about the wonderful sport of ice hockey?  With that being said, I still hate the snow. It is pretty to look at, but that's about it. I hate the cold, I hate driving in the snow, I hate wearing bulky coats, gloves, hats, scarves. It's a pain. My number one problem with the snow is that people seem to have forgotten how to drive when there is snow on the ground. READ MORE

Going Home

By Kari Hively
November 23, 2013 - 10:58pm

If there is anything I am excited about, it is for the semester to end. I don’t know about you, but I am so burnt out with classes and college life. It is crazy to think about all we take for granted about living at home while we’re at school. It is such a stressful time for all of us right now-with final exams and project deadlines approaching rapidly. To get yourself through this last push of the semester, just remember all of the things that you will get to enjoy when you finally get to return home. Personally, I can’t wait to go home and shower in a shower without flip flops. I know it sounds silly but I am so sick of showering with flip flops-I just want my feet to be free when I shower! READ MORE

Group Projects

By Kathryne Davis
November 16, 2013 - 11:01pm

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I hate group projects. You would think the project would be more fun because the work is broken up equally and you get to have fun with people in your group. I have never had this experience. In college, everyone has a completely different schedule and it's difficult to plan around it. I'm not a fan of meeting at 7 in the morning to accommodate one person's schedule. I like my sleep. One person always does a majority of the work and a good amount of time, that person is me. I would rather do the work than let my slacker partner do it and get a failing grade.  READ MORE

The Art of Letter Writing

By Lindsey Moses
November 7, 2013 - 9:11pm

Can you remember the last time you received a handwritten letter in your mailbox? Better yet, can you recall the last time you sat down at your desk and actually composed a letter yourself? I sure can’t. For our technology-immersed generation, the concept of a handwritten note is practically foreign to us. Why write letters, we reason, when we can simply send people a text message, give them a phone call, shoot them an e-mail, or message them on Facebook? After all, sitting down and writing a letter requires so much time and effort. Our society is far too fast paced for such time-consuming acts. READ MORE

Find Yourself

By Lesley Semel
October 31, 2013 - 9:04pm

Blinking your eyes in a pitch-black room, objects become darker and darker due to our pupils adjusting to the lack of light. But as objects grow farther from the eyes view, they tend to blend in with the darkness creating a unity around you. This in itself stirs confusion, tricking the brain that everything that once was individual objects in the daytime have become one in the night. Which brings me to a thought that has been going unanswered since Emerson’s days: How much do you give up of yourself to another without losing your individuality? READ MORE

College: The Best Four Years of Our Lives?

By Kathryne Davis
October 25, 2013 - 5:52pm

Is college really the best four years of our lives? I can’t see how it is. Of course, I’ve only lived 21 years, so I can’t say I’ve had a lot of life experience. I suppose I can see why college is great: the freedom, no parents telling us what to do, etc. But, at the same time, college has its downfalls. READ MORE

Stop the Stereotypes!

By Lindsey Moses
October 18, 2013 - 5:14pm

Last week, I was talking to one of my friends about the possibility of getting my naval pierced. When I asked him what he thought about this idea, he replied curtly, “Don’t do that. It’s sl*tty-looking.” His remark caught me completely off-guard and ultimately led to a lengthy debate about whether or not piercings, as well as tattoos, should be considered trashy. I argue that they should not be. In my opinion, both piercings and tattoos are beautiful and unique forms of art. To claim that they are “sl*tty” or “trashy” is, essentially, to stifle creativity and expression. READ MORE

Study Skills for the Successful Student

By Lindsey Moses
October 8, 2013 - 5:35pm

Suddenly, the clock strikes midnight and you realize, with horror, that you still have 15 more pages of notes to read before your dreaded exam the next morning. “Why, oh, why did I wait until the last minute to begin studying?” you ask yourself furiously. “If only I had planned my time more wisely and had made a study schedule, then maybe I could at least squeak by with a C on tomorrow’s exam.”   Unfortunately, this situation is a reality of many college kids today. Not managing one’s time, not studying effectively, and not taking adequate notes are some of the main dilemmas faced by students of SUNY Oswego.   There are various ways to improve your study skills in order to receive good grades on exams and to ultimately become a more successful student....

Our Amazing Survival Kit!

By Kathryne Davis
October 4, 2013 - 4:22pm

This week, Her Campus sent out a survival kit! We received ours and were surprised with how packed the kit was. Don’t worry ladies; you’ll get some of the goodies at our next meeting. The Back-to-School Survival Kit includes tons of fun things to get through the rest of the semester. Neuro: READ MORE