Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Oswego Blog

Snow Everywhere

By Kylie Wyman
February 28, 2014 - 10:01pm

Let's face it, SUNY Oswego students, those of us who are from this part of the state knew what we were getting ourselves into when we decided to go to college in this little town. But, if you're not originally from Upstate New York, you probably weren't ready for this hellacious winter that we are currently dealing with this year.   In the past few weeks, it seems that Queen Elsa has set off an eternal winter...everywhere. (If you don't understand this reference, go watch Frozen as soon as you can.) People are trudging through the frozen tundra that is the SUNY Oswego campus, all bundled up in their winter coats and scarves. Although, I have seen some crazy people in shorts during those "warm" days we've had.   ...

My Four Biggest Pet Peeves About SUNY Oswego

By Kari Hively
February 22, 2014 - 8:18pm

I send out my apologies to any cheerful person who may potentially be brought down by my pessimistic recount of the current reasons I am frustrated with this school; however, I am simply so irritated with these four aspects of being a student at Oswego, that I can’t hold it in: The weather READ MORE

Diary of a Cashier

By Kylie Wyman
February 15, 2014 - 1:15pm

Sometimes, trips to the grocery store can become more and more hectic. Especially on holidays. Some forgot to get a card for their significant other and decide to get it at 9 p.m. on Valentine's Day; others remembered that they just HAD to go out and buy a turkey at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving; or shoppers realized that their Christmas Eve would be much more fun with a twelve pack of Bud Light. People get upset and irritated that there are not enough cash registers running; there are not enough baggers and they have to bag their own groceries; they give the cashiers dirty looks because, apparently, they are just not doing their job fast enough. READ MORE

Remember the Good Times

By Lindsey Moses
February 6, 2014 - 9:56pm

Recently, I was browsing through blogs on Tumblr (a daily occurrence) and came across an interesting post. It read: “Start the new year with an empty jar and fill it with notes every time something good happens. On the last day of 2014, empty the jar and see what wonderful stuff the year has brought you.”   What a great idea! I thought excitedly. I should definitely try this.   READ MORE

A Surprise from Garnier

By Kathryne Davis
December 13, 2013 - 9:19pm

We all need a little something extra during this time, especially our hair. This week, Garnier sent us free samples of shampoo and conditioner. Our hair smells great and looks ever better. Garnier believes that everyone possesses her own natural beauty and everyone has the power to make that beauty shine through. For Garnier, the aim of beauty is happiness and feeling at ease with yourself and others. It’s about taking care. Here is a little bit about the Volume Extend Shampoo and Conditioner: Instantly extend volume for all-day fullness! The ultralight cleansing hair care formula, with natural fruit fibers, papaya and cucumber extracts, strengthens while it thickens hair. Volume is extended for longlasting fullness and body....

Oh No! Kyle, You Didn’t!--American Horror Story: Coven

By Kari Hively
December 7, 2013 - 11:52pm

Every week, I excitedly wait for Wednesday night at 10 to cuddle up with a blanket and sit in front of the TV to watch my favorite show, American Horror Story. Each Wednesday I am able forget about all of the stressors in life for an hour, fully immersing myself in the show and characters.   However, the single hour that American Horror Story is on is probably the shortest hour I have ever experienced in my life.   This season, American Horror Story: Coven, is the third season of the show and premiered on Oct. 9, 2013.   READ MORE

Snow: Love It or Hate It?

By Kathryne Davis
November 27, 2013 - 7:03pm

I'm a firm believer in the holidays needing snow. It just isn't the same without it. The snow seems almost magical and the snow falling is like no other scene. Skiing and snowmobiling are two fun activities to do in the snow and who could forget about the wonderful sport of ice hockey?  With that being said, I still hate the snow. It is pretty to look at, but that's about it. I hate the cold, I hate driving in the snow, I hate wearing bulky coats, gloves, hats, scarves. It's a pain. My number one problem with the snow is that people seem to have forgotten how to drive when there is snow on the ground. READ MORE

Going Home

By Kari Hively
November 23, 2013 - 10:58pm

If there is anything I am excited about, it is for the semester to end. I don’t know about you, but I am so burnt out with classes and college life. It is crazy to think about all we take for granted about living at home while we’re at school. It is such a stressful time for all of us right now-with final exams and project deadlines approaching rapidly. To get yourself through this last push of the semester, just remember all of the things that you will get to enjoy when you finally get to return home. Personally, I can’t wait to go home and shower in a shower without flip flops. I know it sounds silly but I am so sick of showering with flip flops-I just want my feet to be free when I shower! READ MORE

Group Projects

By Kathryne Davis
November 16, 2013 - 11:01pm

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I hate group projects. You would think the project would be more fun because the work is broken up equally and you get to have fun with people in your group. I have never had this experience. In college, everyone has a completely different schedule and it's difficult to plan around it. I'm not a fan of meeting at 7 in the morning to accommodate one person's schedule. I like my sleep. One person always does a majority of the work and a good amount of time, that person is me. I would rather do the work than let my slacker partner do it and get a failing grade.  READ MORE

The Art of Letter Writing

By Lindsey Moses
November 7, 2013 - 9:11pm

Can you remember the last time you received a handwritten letter in your mailbox? Better yet, can you recall the last time you sat down at your desk and actually composed a letter yourself? I sure can’t. For our technology-immersed generation, the concept of a handwritten note is practically foreign to us. Why write letters, we reason, when we can simply send people a text message, give them a phone call, shoot them an e-mail, or message them on Facebook? After all, sitting down and writing a letter requires so much time and effort. Our society is far too fast paced for such time-consuming acts. READ MORE