you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

B-b-books? B-b-boring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

If you’re anything like me, I’m sure you’re already beginning to fall into the slump of procrastinating on academics this semester. Schoolwork is already becoming tedious—reading materials are no longer fresh and exciting, assignments seem redundant, and exams just equal stress. It may seem that just weeks ago your ears were tuned in to your professor as you absorbed every word they said, all the while determined in the back of your mind to do really well in school this semester.

It is now at the point of the semester where you are sitting in class, your mind drifting away from the droning of your professor, that you are really happy you sit at the front of the room so the incredibly smart girl behind you can’t see you silently rolling your eyes as she always seems to know the exact answer the professor is looking for.

As I am struggling to maintain the motivation necessary to do well in my classes, I have some little tricks for you that I have found useful in keeping me on top of my work:

1. While reading a long text, keep focused by writing small notes in the margins of the pages as you read. Write with a colorful bright pen if you want a pop of color to draw your attention, useful when you want to refer back to your notes later. If you don’t write in your books, write your notes in a notebook. This helps you get your mind involved in what you’re reading; making it more likely that you will retain the material.
  2. Read in small intervals and take breaks when you begin to lose focus. Listen to an upbeat song, do some stretching, or grab a healthy snack; then pick up where you left off.
  3. Make notecards for vocabulary as you go—you never know when your professor may quiz you on what you’ve read and knowing the vocabulary will help you keep track of the information you’re reading.
  4. Stay organized! As tempting as it may be to let your room become cluttered, keep your space clean and organized. It is much easier to study in a room that is neat and tidy.
  5. Listen to some light background music that doesn’t have words in it while studying. I find when I listen to some cool jazz music in the background as I study, my brain is much more focused and relaxed.

Basically, just do whatever works for you. Try to find meaning in your classes. If a reading is boring, try to find the interesting points in it. When you don’t think you can stand one more minute listening to a droning professor, get up, use the restroom, gather your thoughts, and go back and make it a goal to find one interesting point in their lecture. It can be tedious to work hard and study when you see people around you having fun but it will definitely be worth it when you see a high GPA at the end of the semester. You can do it!

Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.