Animal Crossing is Going Mobile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

“Animal Crossing”, that cute game about living in a town with animal neighbors, is finally making its way to smartphones! “Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp” is Nintendo’s third mobile game, the first two being Super Mario Run (iOS and Android) and Fire Emblem Heroes (iOS and Android). Soon you’ll be able to enjoy everything you love about “Animal Crossing” on the go!“Animal Crossing: Pocket Cam” lets you take on the role of a campsite manager; similar to the game series’ last installment, “Animal Crossing: New Leaf”, where the player was the mayor of a town. In Pocket Camp, you have to gather resources to build furniture in your campsite, which will entice villagers to come and stay at your campsite! The animals can interact with the furniture, and it’s your job to make your campsite fun for them.  

A new addition to the app are Leaf Tickets. Leaf Tickets can be used in a few ways: they can shorten the time you need to wait to craft new furniture, you can exchange them for different materials, and you can even convince Cyrus, your crafts lama, to make bigger projects take less time. At this time, Leaf Tickets seem to be available in-game, but can also be purchased with real money. Another new feature is friendship levels. What you put in your campsite can persuade your animal friends to visit you, and grow your friendship levels with them!One of the features I’m personally really excited about is the map. The map is extensive, with four different places to explore. There’s a beach where you can fish, an island where you can catch bugs, and more places to discover. And you go to all these new places in your very own RV! Your RV acts as your home, and is fully customizable, including the exterior.

Many things from the classic “Animal Crossing” games are in Pocket Camp. Time passes in real time in Pocket Camp. You can buy new clothes and furniture for yourself from returning characters Mable and Sable, and Timmy and Tommy Nook at the all new Market Place. There are also plans for seasonal events, with special furniture items, just like in the old games.There is so much to do in this game, it feels like a whole new iteration of Animal Crossing. The Animal Crossing fandom has been waiting so long for news about the mobile app, and I think it’s safe to say we are all pleasantly surprised by the amount of effort and love Nintendo put into Pocket Camp. Being such an avid Animal Crossing fan, I think this app will please all fans of the franchise, and invite new players to see why everyone loves these games.

“Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp” is set to release Late November 2017 on iOS and Android for free.

Mackenzie was the senior editor and Twitter manager for Her Campus Oswego. She was a double English and Journalism major at SUNY Oswego. She loves reading, video games, and a good cup of tea.
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.