6 Self-Love Relaxation Methods You Need to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Even though Spring Break is quickly approaching, it’s never an inappropriate time to take control of the stress in your life. Relaxation is something that everyone can achieve so many different ways. It’s important to know how to take some time to de-stress, and give yourself a break every once in a while. Here are some tips to help aid you on your journey to relaxation.

1. Face Masks

Face masks are a saving grace when it comes to dealing with stress and working on #relaxationmode. There are dozens of face masks out there for each skin type, and picking the right one for you is essential to achieve that relaxation. Face masks that have essential oils in them are particularly great. Make sure not to use them too often though, because that can be more harmful to your skin than helpful! Once a week is recommended, but it’s all up to what your skin can handle.

2. Meditation

Meditating has honestly changed my outlook on life completely. It feels so good to just be able to shut your mind off every now and then. Of course, there are a lot of different kinds of meditation. It can range from sitting in complete silence, to flooding your mind with organic sounds and music. There’s really not one specific way to meditate, so don’t be discouraged if it’s not perfect your first time! By trying different methods, you can learn what works best for you.

3. Take a break

It’s okay to take a step back from everything and just take a break. That break could be for a couple minutes or a few hours. Whatever stress you are dealing with can be dealt with later. Taking a break can help refresh your mind so you can go back to whatever you were doing with an open and rejuvenated mind. Going outside when it’s nice out is never a bad idea either! Nature is a great healer of the mind.

4. Take a power nap

Now I know people usually say naps are usually for kids, but honestly everyone could use a nice nap in their life. Taking a quick nap after class can help regenerate your energy and prepare you for whatever is next in your day. Taking naps is essential, especially on very busy days. Try not to plan a nap for too long, though. Sleeping for more than an hour can make you feel groggy and will make you not want to get out of bed. Try planning your naps for about 30 to 45 minutes, and you’ll wake up feeling refreshed and positive.

5. Drink lots of water

Staying hydrated throughout your day is so important, both for achieving relaxation, and for taking care of yourself. Hydration helps aid in relaxation because it makes sure your body is working properly. If you get headaches commonly throughout the day, drinking more water could help. Dehydration can cause a lot of stress in your life, so keeping a water bottle handy to fill when needed is great.

6. Listen to Music

Music can be one of the best forms of relaxation out there. Everyone has that one song or artist they go to whenever they’re feeling a certain way. Putting on your headphones and just listening to that song can help ease your mind and prepare you for the day.Taking care of your mind and body is so important. Having a healthy system to relax yourself can help you indefinitely on your journey to self-love. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try these awesome techniques!

Jordyn is a Biology major with a minor in creative writing at SUNY Oswego. She hopes to open a rehabilitation center for wildlife in the future. She's very passionate about animals and spreading awareness for animal rights. She also enjoys drawing and painting.
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.