5 DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Halloween is near, meaning it’s that time of year to get creative with your costumes! Are you having some money issues? Running out of costume ideas? Need a quick last minute getup? Here are five do-it-yourself ideas that will save you time and money!

1. Greek Goddess

Take a bed sheet and wrap it around you so it is nice and snug, and drape it over your shoulder. After that, it’s all about accessorizing! If you have a gold belt or rope, tie it around your waist. Do your make-up next! Apply some bronzer and glitter to make you glow and shimmer. Use light and dark shades for eye shadow colors: purples, greens, gold and light browns. The best part about this costume idea is that you can use earth’s natural resources, and for free­– if there are leaves on the ground, gather them up and make a head wreath by tucking some small branches into your hair or use a gold ribbon as a head wrap. Wah lah! A perfect goddess! 

2. God’s Gift to Men

This one is super easy. You can dress however you like, and whatever you are comfortable in but make sure you look fine. Just take some ribbon and make a bow to tie it around yourself. It can go around your hips, over the shoulder or wherever your heart desires. To finalize your costume, attach a large tag using construction paper that says: “To: Men, From: God.” Simple, clever, sexy and creative! 

3. (Desperate) Housewife

This costume idea comes with an optional “sexy” component. You could use your bathrobe for this. Throw on a pair of slippers and gather some “desperate” accessories such as an oven mitt or a wine glass. Throw your hair in a ponytail or curl it and wear heavy make-up. Underneath the bathrobe you can wear sweatpants and a thermal or make the look classy and sexy with a sleek dress underneath. 

4. Sexy Librarian

A classic; you can never go wrong with this one! Throw on a pencil skirt or even a little plaid skater-skirt. Rummage through your drawers for button-down blouses. Wear the blouse either all the way buttoned up or you could even show a little chest to spice up the look a bit. A cardigan always works well with this outfit; suspenders and thigh-high socks or stockings are a must. To accessorize get a pair of glasses (tape around the middle of them is an optional idea) and carry around some books. Make sure you have nude make-up, but be sure to add a pop color using lip-gloss.You can even carry around an apple (plus it is a good on-the-go snack when you get hungry!) 

5. Gangster

If you’re feeling edgy and are not into the sexy looks for Halloween, this is perfect for you! Though this may take some rummaging through a guy’s closet, it should still be easy to pull off. Grab an oversized white t-shirt, baggy jeans, boxers and a pair of sneakers. Wear a pair of two diamond-stud earrings andtake some tinfoil or gum wrappers to fold over your teeth to make it seem like you have “grills.” Use some black eyeliner or black eye shadow to make a mustache or goatee. You can even pretend to have a black eye or a tear drop under your eye for a traditional gangster tattoo. Wear a lot of chains and walk with a gangster lean.

Step away from the rack of expensive, irritating, polyester costumes and work your way toward the clever and creative, do-it-yourself Halloween gear perfect for a college budget. Unless repeating a costume is something you do, you know you’ll never wear them again after Halloween. Instead take the cash you’d usually drop on a cheaply made, mass-produced look and shop for a costume that will make you not only look fabulous, but also save money. Remember, have fun and be creative!